1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conspiracy of the worst kind.

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by fartoomuchhadenough, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Well.

This half-term has started less positive that ever.

Staff re-structuring is never good - but even worse in a school. Particularly in a school that has been battered and bruised by the one person who is supposed to protect it from harm, supposed to nurture and feed it so that it blossoms. Instead, the Headteacher of my school, my boss has torn the school apart, wrecked it, manipulated it and is making it and maybe me redundant.

I am utterly disgusted that David Cameron has put forward motions that will see Headteachers with more powers. Just exactly where is accountability in schools; how can one person have so much power? It is sickening, especially when they abuse it. And, lets face it that is exactly what a large majority do! In what organisation could the Leader / figure-head not be subject to the highest levels of scrutiny? Only your schools ... where the Headteacher is allowed to squander public funds, disregard employment laws and regularly pay out huge sums of money to staff (to go quietly). And, why are they going quietly, because they probably disagreed with the Headteacher of one of his/her allies!

I have seen unprofessionalism, cover-ups, stitch-ups, gone wrong botch-ups and lying all in one school! Much of it sadly has been as a result of a single Headteacher whose own inadequacies, psychological instability and blatant inability to do their job has left a school with a deficit budget that has landed other Headteachers and Local Authorities before a court of law.

You must be wondering where the Governing Body are in all of this? Pacified by the Headteacher. The Chair - a shadow of a person lacking in genuine purpose and emotional intelligence... only really there by accident and see the role as more of a social event, for sipping tea and chuckle. The Governing Body, have never held the Headteacher accountable for anything, more they acted as nodding dogs and anyone who dared offer searching questions or seek further understanding were over the Headteacher's reign verbally beaten down, never to arise again. So the Governing Body took 'risks' with the budget as directed by the Headteacher. They (the Governing Body) followed the Headteacher's deranged vision to remove his/her challengers off the staff, through payouts, through outs and al other sorts of coercing of others. They allowed all of this to happen ... And now that we have a big whole in the budget are pretended that it was planned ... pretending that it wasn't their fault for agreeing to what ever the Headteacher decided. It is as a result of the financial climate - not because they have had their eyes closed for far too long.

Where are the results? Are students learning? Is the Headteacher worth it? No, the school is ranked one of the lowest in the Local Authority and the Headteacher earns two thirds of a Government Minster's salary. Again, who allowed this to happen?

As for the Local Authority. You would think that they would come in and clear up the mess? Yes, you would ... wrong! Instead, when the Governing Body finally started to listen, and they went to the Local Authority seeking support ... what did they they do - the Local Authority? Nothing. Well, they did do something ... they made it as difficult as possible for the Governing Body to do their job in holding the Headteacher to account. They began the mummification process - covering up, dumbing down on every level. Umpteen investigations later, who or what is being held accountable is the 'age of austerity'.

Who died and made Headteachers God? Why is this allowed to happen? In what organisation could you get away with this; where can you be shielded from reprimand ? I am just an employee, I guess I am dispensable but isn't that where Employment Laws are suppose to protect me? How can the aggressor suddenly become the victim, why have they Governing Body and Local Authority gone out of their way - even if it has meant they have behaved dishonestly - to protect the Headteacher (with no track record of effective leadership)?

I have agreed with myself that I must be patient and wait for the unravelling. I must bear witness to this disgraceful conspiracy. A despicable crime contaminating the futures of young people up and down our country; your daughter or son in a school near you.

2. Well.

This half-term has started less positive that ever.

Staff re-structuring is never good - but even worse in a school. Particularly in a school that has been battered and bruised by the one person who is supposed to protect it from harm, supposed to nurture and feed it so that it blossoms. Instead, the Headteacher of my school, my boss has torn the school apart, wrecked it, manipulated it and is making it and maybe me redundant.

I am utterly disgusted that David Cameron has put forward motions that will see Headteachers with more powers. Just exactly where is accountability in schools; how can one person have so much power? It is sickening, especially when they abuse it. And, lets face it that is exactly what a large majority do! In what organisation could the Leader / figure-head not be subject to the highest levels of scrutiny? Only your schools ... where the Headteacher is allowed to squander public funds, disregard employment laws and regularly pay out huge sums of money to staff (to go quietly). And, why are they going quietly, because they probably disagreed with the Headteacher of one of his/her allies!

I have seen unprofessionalism, cover-ups, stitch-ups, gone wrong botch-ups and lying all in one school! Much of it sadly has been as a result of a single Headteacher whose own inadequacies, psychological instability and blatant inability to do their job has left a school with a deficit budget that has landed other Headteachers and Local Authorities before a court of law.

You must be wondering where the Governing Body are in all of this? Pacified by the Headteacher. The Chair - a shadow of a person lacking in genuine purpose and emotional intelligence... only really there by accident and see the role as more of a social event, for sipping tea and chuckle. The Governing Body, have never held the Headteacher accountable for anything, more they acted as nodding dogs and anyone who dared offer searching questions or seek further understanding were over the Headteacher's reign verbally beaten down, never to arise again. So the Governing Body took 'risks' with the budget as directed by the Headteacher. They (the Governing Body) followed the Headteacher's deranged vision to remove his/her challengers off the staff, through payouts, through outs and al other sorts of coercing of others. They allowed all of this to happen ... And now that we have a big whole in the budget are pretended that it was planned ... pretending that it wasn't their fault for agreeing to what ever the Headteacher decided. It is as a result of the financial climate - not because they have had their eyes closed for far too long.

Where are the results? Are students learning? Is the Headteacher worth it? No, the school is ranked one of the lowest in the Local Authority and the Headteacher earns two thirds of a Government Minster's salary. Again, who allowed this to happen?

As for the Local Authority. You would think that they would come in and clear up the mess? Yes, you would ... wrong! Instead, when the Governing Body finally started to listen, and they went to the Local Authority seeking support ... what did they they do - the Local Authority? Nothing. Well, they did do something ... they made it as difficult as possible for the Governing Body to do their job in holding the Headteacher to account. They began the mummification process - covering up, dumbing down on every level. Umpteen investigations later, who or what is being held accountable is the 'age of austerity'.

Who died and made Headteachers God? Why is this allowed to happen? In what organisation could you get away with this; where can you be shielded from reprimand ? I am just an employee, I guess I am dispensable but isn't that where Employment Laws are suppose to protect me? How can the aggressor suddenly become the victim, why have they Governing Body and Local Authority gone out of their way - even if it has meant they have behaved dishonestly - to protect the Headteacher (with no track record of effective leadership)?

I have agreed with myself that I must be patient and wait for the unravelling. I must bear witness to this disgraceful conspiracy. A despicable crime contaminating the futures of young people up and down our country; your daughter or son in a school near you.

3. I sense a giant french fry on a weak shoulder.
    Maybe you have a complaint, maybe not. I can't really make it out from your post. If you have, then talk to your union and follow their advice.

4. R13

R13 New commenter

You ask . .
    how can one person have so much power? It is sickening, especially when they abuse it. And, lets face it that is exactly what a large majority do! In what organisation could the Leader / figure-head not be subject to the highest levels of scrutiny?
    The answer of course is that one person being the boss is exactly what normally happens in business. The difference is that Heads do have Governors, and LA Inspectors, and exam results, and SIPs and OFSTED, so they aren't as unaccountable as most businesses but you'll get my drift.

I'm not backing the Head's actions here - he/she may be as bad as you think and your view may be as perfect as you think, I just thought a bit of realism might be worthwhile

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A school is not a democracy.
    The HT has responsibility for the day-to-day running of the school and is answerable for his/her actions and decisions. This will include teaching and learning, child safeguarding, financial management, personnel issues and a whole host of other responsibilities of which I suspect the OP is only vaguely aware.
    To be justifiably outraged is one thing.
    To be ill-informed and have a chip on one's shoulder is another.
    I suspect the latter.

6. you have my every sympathy.
    please ignore the posters who hace discounted what you have said - and describe it as being a chip on your shoulder.
    the forum is a good place to vent disappointment, anger and injustice.
    unfortunately some posters are just robots & are not supportive or constructive with their posts.
    all the best.

7. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Poor OP - you have my deepest sympathy too. I think we must have worked in the same school. I experienced everything you describe, too. Go get the b@rsteward!

8. Unfortunately cover-ups, lying etc. can happen although I would say it is rare. The majority of heads are good listeners, say it as it is and do everything they can to keep everything honest and up-front when difficult decisions have to be made. I have to say that I was in a position where the HT habitually lied and used the divide and rule thing. I was one of his 'allies' or so he thought. However I disliked the ethos it created with a passion and left as soon as I could.

9. Robby64 - are you me? It sounds just like my experience.

10. redx11

redx11 New commenter

'have to say that I was in a position where the HT habitually lied and used the divide and rule thing.'
    I have worked for 3 HTs and the 2nd used the same tactics. Some good HTs out there and if u work for one the job is great. Whistle blowing didnt work for me either, cover up job as usual until she (HT) messed up then got rid of very quickly.
    Gove's plan to give HTs more power is very worrying. LA's virtually disappeared, no SIPs, weak governing bodies. Plus have seen quite a few cases in the TES of HT's coming before GTCE who will deal with such cases?