1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

consonant clusters

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mancminx, Dec 1, 2011.

1. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Do we still teach these? Or would the 'flood' be taught as fl oo d or f l oo d? I think its the latter, but was chatting to someone the other day and they said we do?
    Thanks

2. The latter.
    There are 76 consonant clusters according to Diane McGuinness - and if you teach them, that would involve, in effect, teaching 76 additional 'units of sound'.
    Instead, if you teach the blending for reading <u>skill</u> and the segmenting for spelling <u>skill </u>really well - which should be the case nowadays - you wouldn't need to teach consonant clusters.
    Having said that, for early reading and early spelling purposes, I have found it is helpful to teach a unit of sound of /ngk/ for the 'nk' cluster. If I don't teach this, when children go to spell a word such as 'pink' there is a tendency to spell it like this: 'pingk'.
    So, if the child segments to /p/ /i/ /ngk/, the spelling will be 'p-i-nk'.