1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Consistently angry and aggressive student. How to deal?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by daisy2019, Oct 10, 2019.

1. daisy2019

daisy2019 New commenter

I have been a teacher for 5 years, 30-year old female teacher. I teach in a school that is mostly International. I have a student in my year 11 class who is consistently rude, aggressive and angry. She is from abroad and is angry that she is away from home, she is here for just 1 term because her parents wanted her to have the UK experience. I had a chat with her about her rude attitudes, she confessed that she cannot help the way her body language is, it is just who she is, nothing personal she is just angry at the school in general because she does not want to be in this country.

I spoke to her director of studies, who informed me that this girl is from a high-flying celebrity family who are used to 'talking down' to people and that her exposure to this has led to it being embedded in her own attitude. I am finding it quite difficult to talk to her or involve her in class activities since she cannot talk to me without lashing out.

Would really appreciate some help with this thank you :)

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Just keep reminding yourself that it is nothing personal but this young lady has not been taught to respect people no matter their social status. Also, she is angry and taking her anger out on you.

Nevertheless, there must be rules that everyone must follow and perhaps your director of studies could have a chat with her about the school's rules about how to treat one another. It is not fair on you nor the other students to allow one student to break the codes of conduct.

Perhaps the pastoral team could give the student some support as well to help ease the stress this student must be under.