1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Considering writing a resource

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by Joe1996, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Joe1996

Joe1996 New commenter

Hello
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post so please accept my apologies if this is not the appropriate place to ask this question.

I have recently finished University studying education, I have worked in many schools both on placement and as a Teaching Assistant

Whilst working in schools, attending lectures and reading books, I have come across a range of creative ways to teach various subjects in the primary school.

I am considering writing a set of books to help KS1/2 teachers (I would most likely self publish these), one for each subject

For example: for maths, I would probably do a section for each year group (1-6) and, going off the requirements set by the national curriculum, provide a list with an explanation of ways you may opt to teach a certain subject. These would be from reading (these would of course be referenced) ideas I've seen in classrooms and some of my own ideas. So if you were a Year 1 teacher and were looking at ways to teach measures you'd use the maths book, look under Y1- measures and there'd be a set of ways in which this could be taught.

My questions are: - do you think this would be beneficial for teachers? I know there are some great resources out these and some amazing ideas, this would be a way of collating these ideas
    - would I be allowed to do this? Like I've said, most of these ideas aren't my own, they are ideas I have seen but I would of course reference any ideas which are from textbooks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

alex_teccy likes this.
  2. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

If you can, write the resource, then try it out in the classroom first to see how effective it is before publishing it.
    Then you can refine it into a really good product.

Good luck!

a51_ufo and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

As above. Road test everything. What often looks good on paper can flounder in practice as we are about to find out when we return to school.

alex_teccy likes this.
  4. kghaye

kghaye New commenter

I applaud your ideas and enthusiasm.
    I wrote and self published a set of story books with activities and I found that the biggest challenge was becoming 'visible'. Whatever the quality and the usefulness of your materials, people won't know you're there! So there's loads of self promotion to do.
    You need to ask yourself what you want to get out of this?
    Do you want to sell the books to make decent money? If so, you will be in a VERY competitive market and will have to find a way to break through. This can be frustrating. In my experience teachers want 'fast and FREE' resources!!
    Do you want a personal challenge? In this case it doesn't matter quite as much how successful you are as long as you achieve the goal you set yourself.
    Do you know if teachers need this?
    I've found that most schools have schemes of work that they expect teachers to follow. These also suggest how to put the plans into action with suggested activities. If teachers do browse the internet, they are looking for instant resources - would they choose your book over immediate worksheets/templates/PowerPoints etc?
    Who is your primary market? Maybe student teachers? Maybe the home learning groups? Teaching assistants?Make sure you know who that market is.
    Factor in permission from the authors of ANY work if you are putting together a resource book. You would essentially be the editor of the book so I would advise looking into the role of an editor.
    Hope that's been helpful?
    Good luck with anything that you do publish.

TheGingerTeacher likes this.
  5. Elsasupport

Elsasupport New commenter

Self promotion is key. I would build up a following using social media first. Share some ideas you have tested. Get people behind you. Then when you are ready to publish you will have an army of followers. You must post consistently and regularly to get a good following. People love a good photo or video. Many people do make the mistake of spending all their time on resources or in your case books and then have no one to buy it. Good luck.