1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Considering teaching overseas, where to start?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by allend82, Dec 30, 2018.

1. allend82

allend82 New commenter

Hi all
    This is my first post on here and I'm in the very early stages of considering moving abroad (Asia, China, Middle East) to teach so would be grateful of some advice of where to start.
    My situation. I have 15 years teaching experience, currently head of year and have been PE HOD in the past.
    1. Most jobs I've seen are for teachers without responsibilities, do heads of year, pastoral leadership roles exist? Would I need to start as main pay scale teacher?

I would be moving with my wife and 2 children (8&10 yo), my wife is an unqualified primary teacher , 5 years experience of teaching assistant prior in both secondary & primary.

2.Would schools consider appointing us both?

In terms of job searches I have looked obviously on the TES.

3. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

4. Would you recommend registering with an agency, if so which one(s)?

I have seen that most jobs require a C.V, I haven't had a C.V since leaving school as all teaching jobs have been in the form of application form and cover letter.

5. Is a teaching CV different to a 'normal' CV? Any guide or templates of this would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

HOD etc exist, but expect to apply for teaching posts. Schools often promote from within at that level. With the better packages overseas, you should easily make up for losing any responsibility allowance.
    You and your wife should apply together and look for schools that need both of you.
    There are some tough parts to your application. First, you are both non-competitive hires. Sadly, too many schools cut corners on PE teachers by hiring former athletes rather than teachers. Plenty of good schools know better, but it does mean that the overall market for PE teachers isn’t great. Primary teachers are also plentiful, and without a qualification your wife might find it even more difficult. Many countries require a qualification or they won’t give a working visa. So that could limit you. It would be less of an issue if she returned to being an assistant, but would she be happy? Plus the money for assistants is really low.
    Best advice, build that cv, start applying, sell yourselves, and don’t expect the moon, sun and stars. Be ready to take a reasonable offer even if it’s not a perfect location.
    Good luck

3. allend82

allend82 New commenter

Thanks gulfgolf that's interesting. I also teach a bit of maths so would be happy to offer that but wouldn't want to teach it full time.
    Any advice on agencies or avoid them?

4. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

Maths makes you very sellable. By all means concentrate on PE posts, but describe yourself on your CV as "Teacher of PE and Maths"

5. gulfgolf

Maths is a much more compelling starting point. But you have to sell it. Marketing yourself as a combo teacher could help get you some niche spot that a principal dreams of filling instead of having to hire two people.

6. allend82

allend82 New commenter

Thanks.
    Should i be looking on TES, individual school websites, or register with an agency? Or all 3?!
    How about recruitment fairs I've read about on here?

7. gulfgolf

Yes, yes and yes.

8. teacher1332

teacher1332 New commenter

I have messaged you.

9. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would recommend your wife gaining QTS as a primary school teacher as a minimum qualification before departing to Foriegn Lands. A FULL TIME UNIVERSITY PGCE would be better as that is accepted in all countrys, where GTP/CA are not.

This would double your earning potential as a teaching couple and allow you to move easily between jobs and countries.

Also you have to consider the Education Quality of the school you will be working, will it be the best for your children. This is the main factor I am considering for my next move.

10. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

Get signed up to Search Associates...

11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

We were all new to international schools, so yes, things can be a bit confusing at first.

allend, the standard procedure is to send one of those TES Conversation things to a grumpy old hippopotamus.

12. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

Have to agree QTS is important, although this probably isn't an option if you are looking for this summer. Without your wife having QTS, I would apply as a single person, then if you get an interview mention your wife and the experience she has and they might be able to find her a position of she can do supply, one thing to think about there are a few countries such as Thailand and Vietnam were you have to have a degree to get a work permit.

13. gulfgolf

I haven’t seen one.

14. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

Hi allend82,

1. Most jobs I've seen are for teachers without responsibilities, do heads of year, pastoral leadership roles exist? Would I need to start as main pay scale teacher?

I think in many overseas schools there would be one male and one female PE teacher. So you could be you own HOD.

I would be moving with my wife and 2 children (8&10 yo), my wife is an unqualified primary teacher , 5 years experience of teaching assistant prior in both secondary & primary.

2.Would schools consider appointing us both?

Many overseas schools are interested in knowing whether your partner is a teacher, and if she's willing to teach at their school.

In terms of job searches I have looked obviously on the TES.

3. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Search Associates, TIE, Teacher Horizon, Teach Anywhere, Eteach International, Guardian Education....

4. Would you recommend registering with an agency, if so which one(s)?

Search and TIE and all others!

I have seen that most jobs require a C.V, I haven't had a C.V since leaving school as all teaching jobs have been in the form of application form and cover letter.

5. Is a teaching CV different to a 'normal' CV? Any guide or templates of this would be appreciated.

In a good teacher CV there would be (as minimum)
    0. Your photo
    1. Personal details
    2. A Levels and degrees - when, where
    3. Work history with roles, classes taught and achievements
    4. Three referees, the first should be your most recent or current school's head.

Read many job/person descriptions. Start with a cover letter in word, edit, re-edit, ... until you are satisfied that you would employ yourself after reading this letter. You will have to tailor this for each application you make.

And, by the way, what about your children's education? Make sure there is good quality primary school within the same premises or nearby. Many schools offer places free or at discounted fees.

teachtronic likes this.
  15. teacher1332

teacher1332 New commenter

Sorry, I meant I’ve messaged the OP.

16. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

17. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

Forgot Dipont for China jobs.

18. allend82

allend82 New commenter

Thanks everyone for your responses much appreciated.
    Dan

19. allend82

allend82 New commenter

Hi Newstein

I've started the registration process for unnamed recruitment agency do you have any advice on writhing a Bio?

Thanks

20. allend82

allend82 New commenter

I've started the registration process for unnamed recruitment agency do you have any advice on writing a Bio? Thanks