1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Considering teaching in Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by Mackem85, Dec 15, 2015.

  1. Mackem85

    Mackem85 New commenter

    I am currently a teacher in England in a SEN school after 2 years mainstream experience. I completed my SCITT course three years ago, which did not have a PGCE element. I am now studying for a PgDip in Education (Teaching and Learning) with a focus on SEN. I am looking at working within ASN in Scotland.

    I am confused if my qualifications would suffice. I know that Scotland requires a PGDE or PGCE which I don't have, but I am now studying for masters level course, with a specialism in SEN.

    Can anyone offer any advice on if my qualifications would be appropriate and what the opportunities are for ASN in Scotland secondary level age range?

  2. Mazod

    Mazod Occasional commenter

    Hi Mackem,

    In order to work in a Scottish state school (and the private sector is small here with private SEN even smaller) you need a PGDE/PGCE. You also must register with the General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS) and I would contact them for more information as they are quick to reply and obviously knowledgable.

    I would also warn you that many local authorities are trying to move away from special schools and are instead looking to introduce units within mainstream schools to promote more inclusivity. This may be something of interest to you but just thought you would like to know.

Share This Page