1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Considering stepping down as DHT

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by eleanorrigby77, Sep 25, 2015.

1. eleanorrigby77

eleanorrigby77 New commenter

I am a DHT who has been in SLT for eight years prior to becoming a DHT. I am finding the second year in this role a huge challenge. I work extremely hard and can be in work from 8.30 until six then find myself working in the evenings for an hour or two. I do not mind working hard but am worried I am working hard on the wrong priorities. We have just had our data /results etc and know they will probably trigger a new visit from the inspectors. My question is, is this just life as a DHT and I should just get on with it or should I consider a move to AHT. We have made massive changes in our school recently and they are taking time to bed in making our staff very unsettled and some are unhappy. Is there such a thing as a work life balance for a DHT and do we just accept the consequences of data which we knew was going to be lacklustre even though we moved heaven and earth to help our pupils?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In some ways you are correct that life as DHT is hard going. In fact I always felt that DHT was harder than HT, but that was partly the relief of no longer doing the timetable!

But I'd just like to give you two things to consider.

1. You talk of stepping down. Have you also considered stepping up? If you were to see your current role as preparation for Headship, would it change how you felt about it?

2. If you do apply elsewhere, either Up or Down, don't do it as Getting Away From. For your own sake, as well as for the other school, it should be a Moving Joyfully Towards

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You say "I work extremely hard and can be in work from 8.30 until six then find myself working in the evenings for an hour or two."

Can I be frank? That's not the most onerous workload in teaching by some way. Regular reading of TES over some years support the view that the vast majority of teachers are working at least these hours - and many are doing even more.

I understand Theo's suggestion you think about headship, but heads tend to work more hours than this AND have a lot more stress thrown into the bargain.