1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Considering returning to teaching

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by suertesamp, Oct 19, 2017.

1. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

I used to do cover supply for an agency, but I did not go back after the summer holidays because I found a full time call centre job. Now I am trying to get another job already because I am very dissatisfied. There are no advancement opportunities, I am stuck on minimum wage, working unsociable hours spending all day getting yelled at by total strangers. I have had one informal interview for a cover job in a secondary, and another one in the secondary I went to as a child.
    Yesterday I had an interview in which I had to teach an English class while being observed by two teachers. For the most part, it went well, altough I was very nervous at the start. A boy sat at the front was being disruptive and before I decided to move him to another table, the teacher observing did this for me. Overall, the feedback was quite good, however I was not quite what they were looking for and I need to make some small improvements to my teaching first. The feedback was helpful, given that I had never been observed before, not being a QT and having only ever done supply. The teacher did encourage me to apply again, as he saw a lot of potential.
    I enjoyed being in a school for the first time since July, and it made me realize how much I enjoyed covering lessons in the first place. I had a sudden epiphany and decided, that at some point, I should consider leaving my job to do supply. But this is risky, because there is no guarantee I would get steady work. But I really do dislike the job I am doing. It is making me snappy, anxious and depressed. My partner thinks that in the way I am behaving, it looks like I've lost the will to live. Would going back to supply be such a good idea, since I hate my job so much?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

I can totally understand how you feeel rght now because over the summer break, I worked as a receptionist handling incoming calls and people can be unbelievably rude; however, many were calling about complaints about something they has paid a lot of money for and were understandably upset and they would take it out on the first person to pick up the phone. I could never, ever work in a call centre which would be worse form me than being a receptionist. At least with a reception work, there is some variety even if it is a small amount.

There is no denying that supply for day to day work is slower this year. You are, however, coming up to the time when it starts to pick up. What you could do is this.

Find another job for two days in the week plus perhaps a Saturday and work as a supply teacher the other three. Get a retail job or even cleaning- anything is going to be better than a call centre.

Then once you are settled think about some further training in education or something outside education.

Let us know how younger on and welcome to the forum.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think pepper is right in that you don't want to 'burn all your bridges' just yet or you might find yourself without any employment and hugely in debt.

I appreciate working at a low paid job and trying to fit some supply around it might be an option but presumably wouldn't yield enough reliable income to live on?

I was once told it's always easier to get a job if you're in a job and certainly being on supply can be a hindrance to getting a job if one is on it a long time. People assume you're doing it because you're no good.:rolleyes:

So, although it's certainly not well paid, but would you consider applying to be a TA? It would get you back in education and 'upgrade' your experience. They also have only a month's notice so you could start applying for teaching positions after a while and have a shorter notice period than teachers need.

If successful, do as someone once suggested and make a diary of things you see, do each day to improve your own skills.

gingerhobo48 likes this.