1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Considering resigning......

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by dippyfairy, Jan 30, 2019.

1. dippyfairy

dippyfairy New commenter

Hi...

Has anybody resigned without a job and had a successful outcome in the long run?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

I wouldn’t - supply can be few and far between and it’s far easier to get a job when you’re in a job.

3. Presleygirl

Presleygirl Occasional commenter

It’s not something that is really recommended in any line of work, but ..... depends on your why. For some they do and manage. I have a friend who does supply four days a week. It worked for her, but a lot depends on flexibility etc and the work can dry up.

If you can tackle the issues of why you want out. I did resign twice without jobs before but I moved back home to live with family.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Yes but it was some years ago and supply was probably easier to get. My HT at the time wanted me out and it was too hard to fight.
    I wouldn't recommend it unless things are really bad. Go through your finances and make sure you've got a plan for paying your bills.
    I did eventually get all the way back to where I'd been - full-time permanent primary class teacher - but it took a few years.

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

As others have said, really wouldn’t recommend doing this unless you are very, very desperate. If you don’t get another job quickly your c.v. will start to look very patchy with either no work or one temporary post after another. And it can be a case of out of the frying pan, into the fire.
    Write a list of pros and cons - about your current job and about leaving it without another to go to. That can be really helpful for weighing up courses of action and clarifying things.

agathamorse likes this.