1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Considering resignation

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ealdor, Oct 14, 2011.

1. I have just started my NQT year part-time at a really nice school with a good structure and lots of support. However, I am also doing one day in a different school, where I am teaching the full five out of five periods. It is causing me lots of stress and anxiety, including sleepless nights and early mornings awake, for a number of reasons.
    I never get to see my mentors. Four out of five classes are bottom sets expressing extremely challenging behaviour. Following up sanctions is difficult because I am only there that one day a week, and there are A LOT of difficult students to follow up for me. I share four out of five classes so I cannot take books home, and added to a full five-period teaching day, marking is proving very difficult too. Communication for planning lessons is not always efficient either, causing stress from last minute preparation.
    I just wanted to get some opinions on this from other teachers, both experienced and newly-qualified. Other teachers I have spoken to agree this is an unacceptable situation to put a one-day-a-week NQT in, and at the moment I just want to hand in my resignation as soon as possible. However, opinions are divided on the resignation point, with some saying I should for my wellbeing for the next year, and others saying it would reflect badly on the other school I work for three days a week, and spoil my future career prospects.
    Any words of advice, opinions, thoughts??

2. Sorry, should have made that a bit clearer - I would be looking to just resign the one day a week post, not both schools.

3. If you find it too difficult to manage, then by all means you should bring your concerns to the attention of the Headteacher, taking with you a friend, mentor or union rep. It may be that they don't understand how difficult you're finding the situation - I suspect they may be looking upon you as a sort of supply, or a lucky sod who only needs to come in for one day. If you can't get any resolution via talking it over, then in the sweetest way possible, in the most self-effacing gosh i'm new, it's not you it's me way you can, I'd suggest giving them as much as notice as possible and departing on the best terms you can.
    But read this first. It's American and twee but true.
    http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/columnists/mcdonald/mcdonald015.shtml

4. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

If I were you, I would definitely focus on the one school. For me, trying to get my head around two schools in my NQT year would have led to my head exploding!
    If I were in your position, I would say that I was terribly sorry but I had found it just too difficult to manage both situations, and have a discussion with the head where you make it clear that you are going to resign but don't want to leave them in the lurch if it can be avoided. Do your best to make it clear that you really like the school and appreciate everything they have done (even if you don't feel they've done that much!). That way you've done your best not to burn any bridges but protected yourself from going mad!
    I can't see this reflecting badly on you in the future - I think most people would have found this too much and to be honest I'm suprised a school would take on an NQT for one day a week when you think about the level of support required. Perhaps they didn't think about it, and that's why it's not been there?
    Anyway, get this sorted out as quickly as you can so you can focus on a really good NQT year.
    Good luck[​IMG]

5. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Oh, and if money is an issue (when isn't it?) think about 1-2-1 tutoring or private tutoring. Let the main school you're working for know you are keen and they will probably be able to send some children your way.

6. The one day a week school are not making any provision for your being an NQT - you should not be teaching 100% even if only there for a day.
    COntact your direct line manager - if no change, go above them and so forth!
    If really no luck - union ......
    LEA....
    The school is breaking the STCPD - assuming you are in a non-academy school....

7. Thank you for all the advice. I have expressed my concerns to the one-day-a-week school, by email, and they want to see me and offer suggestions on my next day in. I do not feel that what they want to recommend will solve the overall issue of the difficulty of trying to work for two schools, one just once a week, and think my mind is pretty much made up on focusing my energy into my main employer.