1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Considering Overseas Jobs Advice

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by chrisbarnes1, May 30, 2018.

1. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

@chrisbarnes1 I started out teaching internationally there in 2015. In terms of being close to the UK, it's about a 4.5 - 5 hour flight to London, and reasonably cheap to live. The schools vary quite wildly in their intake and their management - most, if not all, are for profit. There are only one or two which would still be classed as international in the traditional sense - Cairo American College being the main one, which still has a fairly large Western population.

I've PM'd you as a new poster - send me a message if you want to know more detail about specific schools.

2. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

If a Maths teacher family ok. For Maths often main critria is step 1 has pulse check. Step 2. Beg them to take job. If Art or MFL then singles preferred to save costs and I only met family teachers in "easy to get" teacher subjects at Tier 1 schools. Depends on subject. Thats at typical tier 2 and below schools. Tier 1 want the right teacher at any cost.. So aim at tier 1 first.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, nemo, but what is the procedure if it is a teacher of PHYSICS? Roll out the red carpet? A Spitfire flypast? Massed bands of the Coldstream Guards? A couple of cases of Dom Perignon?

4. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

The Times, they are a changin' . . .

CURRICULUM
    Recruiters attend seeking mostly to hire teachers whose experience is consistent with the fair's curriculum focus (see above). Teachers lacking this experience can sometimes be successful if they offer shortage expertise as first choice - Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics HL, French plus Spanish, Early Childhood and KG, Music, Elementary PE, Elementary Art & Design, Special Education, Counselors, Apple-experienced technology integrators, and Librarians

suem75 likes this.
  5. TheComputingTeacher

TheComputingTeacher New commenter

Interesting topic, I'm also considering overseas and have the 3 kids (7,5,2) and non working wife too. I teach KS3-4 and previous to teaching I have 10 years experience in working in IT. So I have extensive skills in Computer science it's well sought after here in UK. But I have an old Drink Drive conviction, would that be a problem??

6. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Nice to know Librarians are a shortage area!

suem75 and yasf like this.
  7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Recently we had near 150 applications for a maths position, but only 3 for the art job. The world is getting oddo_O

yasf and spanboy like this.
  8. the hippo

It was interesting to see that there is a shortage of French and Spanish teachers. French and Spanish are not taught much here in China, nor were they part of the curriculum when this ancient beast was teaching in Qatar. As dumbbells66 notes, the world is indeed becoming an odd place.

spanboy likes this.
  9. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

And odder....l
    We got five (but only really 2 worthwhile) applications for a humanities job recently, and 40-something for a maths job.

yasf likes this.
  10. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

I wonder how many were properly qualified and had Maths degrees.

11. the hippo

There was a post, not so long ago, about China being flooded with thousands of "English teachers" from the Philippines.

12. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

@ the hippo "Some scummy schools only give you a discount, so you still have to stump up most of the ginormous school fees for your little darling(s)."

And...there are those scummy 'rent-a-name' schools like the rhymes with wheelbarrow school in Beijing which require local teachers earning considerably lower salaries to stump up most of their extortionate fees while working a timetable with >30 teaching periods per week

13. 576

576 Established commenter

When my position was advertised this year there were more that 40 applications. That's a humanities subject.

14. the hippo

As for getting a job if you have more than two children, yes, it does depend on lots of different factors. If you are a Physics teacher, then of course all sorts of doors will miraculously open for you.

As for yasf's suggestion that Northern Europe pays better, all I can say to that idea is that you might still be a lot worse off if your accommodation costs gobble up a big chunk of your salary.

15. EmilieYveline

EmilieYveline New commenter

subscribe to internationalschoolreview, check the package and reputation of the school, some in Egypt have badly behaved students, but the country i think is a good choice for families, close to Europe, some schools offer a good package, it is easy to get food and rent a car, it is well connected for travels, sun all year round, if you like the heat and do the research make sure if fits you, it is a good option

16. WatchYourTongue

WatchYourTongue New commenter

Probably not. I have an old DD too, no points or other convictions, which is more than ten years old and have worked in six countries - some of which have very strict entry requirements - since then.

17. TheComputingTeacher

TheComputingTeacher New commenter

Would you suggest declaring it on any applications I make? It's quite strange as it shows up on a DBS but not on a Scottish ACRO police check. So would an ACRO suffice?

18. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Sorry but you're wrong, Egypt is not a good place for families, lack of suitable playing areas, lack of local activities for kids, dangerous driving, high level of pollution, taxi drivers who act inappropriately to women, women getting called all sorts by men etc. Furthermore, inflation is currently around 16%. Its been announced that electricity prices are rising 29% from July onwards, cost of living is increasing... Do I need to say more?

ejclibrarian likes this.