1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Considering Moving to UAE to teach with Family

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by allysonarobinson, Apr 27, 2017.

1. allysonarobinson

allysonarobinson New commenter

Hello!
    I am starting my research and applications to move to the UAE to teach. I will have my husband and two children (twins under 1) with me.
    What are the positives and negatives when it comes to this process? I have heard that some people bring their families later, but that other families bring their families with them. I would want to teach in Al Ain, because I hear it is very family friendly. I would prefer to bring my family with me because my husband wouldn't have much support here at home in the US if I left and came first.
    What are the best things to do to find jobs that offer accommodations for my family and I? I've applied through TeachAway, but I also hear it's better to contact the schools directly.

Just looking for some advice!

2. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Firstly, why the UAE? It's a big world out there with many family friendly places...

3. allysonarobinson

Hey! For us, that's the first place we've looked really that we would feel would be best financially for us. If my husband decides he wants to work, one of our checks could be saved, while we lived off the other.
    Are there better options in other parts of the world I don't know of?

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I would agree with jason, there are soooooooooo many family friendly countries out there, why are you focusing on such a tiny little part of the world.

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Sign up for Search Associates and Teacher Horizons to check out the schools and jobs. Also check here when the recruitment season starts again from September.

I must say it's truly bizarre that you've picked Al Ain out of the entire planet to live. I doubt most people have ever even heard of it let alone know it as a famous family friendly place.

estrella7 and dumbbells66 like this.
  6. allysonarobinson

Well what are some other places? This is my first time looking into this?

7. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

For context, I havent been to Al Ain myself but was offered a job there and have friends who have lived there.

Al Ain is known to be a good place for family with decent weather compared to other parts of the UAE. Arabs go there in summer as it is not as hot there in July and August. However, if the employer doesnt offer family visa then it can be costly to get their visas and can take 6 months to do so. So they will need to be on tourist visas for 6 months and pay a monthly fee for that. Unfortunately, I have that problem to deal with. On the other hand, I dont think you would want to leave twins under 1 years of age for more than 6 months so might have to negotiate family visa as part of the contract.

You do need to bear in mind that Al Ain is not very big and a distance from places you might want to take your kids for leisure when they are a little older or to buy western products for them.

There are other ME countries you can apply to as well that are just as good for families.

8. allysonarobinson

Can anyone offer some better alternatives and some websites please?

9. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

There are so many options for family-friendly and decent money, there's no reasonable way for us to provide a list. At least not a comprehensive, sensible list.
    I support the advice above. Widen your horizons, look around the world. Register with one or more services and check out vacancies around the world. Consider each one in terms of what is important to your family, and of course, remember that just wanting a job doesn't mean you'll get one. It's common to apply to 30 at a minimum before seeing joy.

10. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

the IB lists all its school on its website, listed by country. and it also gives you a direct link to each schools website. just have a look around the world, there are so many amazing countries out there to discover.

join Search Associates (its the only agency you will really ever need), they give you a breakdown of the school, how many dependants they pay for, package and savings potential.

11. isotonic

isotonic Occasional commenter

I second that for Search Associates, just secured a job and all the info they had on their site about the package, pay etc. was pretty accurate when I received the job offer. However I would not quite say it is the ONLY agency as you should not put all your eggs into one!

12. Hi Ally

I would just like to know how it all went as we are now thinking of moving to Dubai with our twin boys (4yrs old)?