1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

considering moving to independent sector..?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by burnettc, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Currently Head of Art experienced decent allowance.Tempted by possible vac. at sane establishment 280 kids only one art teacher in school, 11-18. Have no idea about salary in independent sector. any advice?

2. Currently Head of Art experienced decent allowance.Tempted by possible vac. at sane establishment 280 kids only one art teacher in school, 11-18. Have no idea about salary in independent sector. any advice?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Look in Pay & Conditions - there are loads of posts there on this subject.

Best of luck!

4. I am HOD of English at my indie school, I took a small pay cut but can honestly say I don't regret it. In fact I absolutely LOVE my job now. I'll be honest I work longer hours and have

more parents' evenings but the smaller classes, the better behaved students and the "family feeling" of the smaller school environment more than make up for it. I have more holiday as well (making holidays cheaper as I can fly "out of season") and this sort of counteracts the pay cut.

I would suggest you apply and have a really good look around and ask all of the right questions at the inerview. I never thought I would "go to the dark side" and I'm not sure I'll stay but for now I can't think of what I would rather be doing.

Good luck!