1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

considering leaving my teaching post

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Hoping2012, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

i am considering leaving my teaching post, is there life after teaching? What jobs are out there where i can transfer my teaching skills but still remain in education but open to various suggestions. Looking to have more flexibility

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Teach overseas!

Jeremyinspain likes this.
  3. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

I was able to do my teaching job fairly well in secondary school, but over the years I was finding I had to work much, much harder to maintain those high standards due to: too much red tape; newfangled rules; overmollycoddling of pupils; ego-strutting from colleagues; petty arguments over trivial things; lack of effective support from SMT; pupils referring to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child in their homework diaries (that's right !) as a means of getting out of trouble. And many other things. In the end, I decided to quit and move into college lecturing. Best decision I've ever made. I actually look forward to going into work every day (knowing that the students will do exactly as I say, with zero attitude etc. ). College working conditions are infinitely better than school.

So, yes, there is life after (school) teaching ! Worth checking out.

4. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

Just realised this is for primary. Probably still relevant though.