1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Considering buying a house with an aga

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Happyday*, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Thanks for your ideas, I am going to find out more about it when we have the second viewing tomorrow!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Keep it and learn to love it! It doesn't just do casseroles. I'm on my 4th Aga and I just love them. BTW most do not do hot water so check if this one does, don't assume it will.

3. An AGA is the kithcen equivalent of a Land Rover Defender. Great if you are out in a farmhouse/cottage in the back of beyond. Pointless in an urban/suburban home (exception maybe if your house and kitchen are massive).

4. BelleDuJour

Why?
    I am guessing the kitchen is big enough to house the Aga, hence why it is there, but I can see no reason why an Aga would be pointless in an urban/suburban home.

5. The sticks or the back of beyond - or whatever else some of you might call the countyside, does modern too.
    It's important not to categorise too rigidly - as those with a dearth of imagination are likely to do - and remember that the juxtaposition of traditional and contemporary can work very well indeed.

6. Too big, too slow, too hot in the room, too cool on the hob, too expensive. Aga or induction hob? No contest.

7. BelleDuJour

Nope. Big yes but slow...............not at all.
    Again, no. But an Aga should be used only 20% 0n the hotplates and 80% in the ovens. The golden rule for veggies etc is if it grows above the ground cook it on top, if it grows below the ground cook it in the oven.
    I have both and use both.