1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

considering become a full time tutor.. help wanted please.

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by victoriagaziano, May 6, 2011.

1. I am soon to graduate from a Primary PGCE course as a qualified teacher. I completed my undergrad degree in Education Studies and English Literature.

Even though I enjoy working with children I have found the PGCE extremely stressful and teaching not what I expected. Therefore after reading posts on here I am considering going into tutoring instead of teaching after gaining my teaching qualification. I was just wondering if firstly there is much work in home tutoring and I will be able to make a suitable living from it ? I am considering also enrolling on the One to One Tuition Programme ran by the TDA. Would this be worth doing alongside home tutoring to gain a suitable income?

I know people are probably thinking I'm giving into teaching too easily and I need to grow a backbone but I really don't think I can cope with the stress teaching brings as well as how much it takes over your life.

Advice on how to set up home tutoring and whether I would be able to secure a decent income would be greatly appreciated.

2. I have looked into this since being made redundant in March. I found a National company called Fleet Tutors who have taken me on, they vetted me etc first and offer to find you clients and set the price and collect payments. They seem reputable and my mum, a HT, has heard of them.. They do home, subject, in school 1:1 and small group, online, adult etc etc.

3. Also forgot to say. I tutored traveller children for a while. They were secondary children who had been withdrawn from school by their parents (boys) to work but still required schooling. All they needed was basic literacy and numeracy and it was quite an interesting time. I had 3 boys. 1 boy came every night, another came twice a week and another came once a week. They did suddenly disappear though to go off travelling at Easter time though. I also had a phone call off the traveller officer at the LEA to confirm I was teaching them.