1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

considering applying to Spain...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by astirrup34, Feb 21, 2016.

1. astirrup34

astirrup34 New commenter

Could I ask a question - in the uk we pay into the teacher's pension. I am seriously considering applying to a British school in Spain. Can I still opt to pay into the teacher's pension in the UK? What do teacher's living there normally do? Interested to read what teacher's located there say. Thank you!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

To answer your question about the UK TPS and can you pay into it if you work elsewhere - no, you can't.

If you take a job in an independent school here that doesn't opt you into the TPS, you do what others in non-pensionable jobs do and make other arrangements, e.g. get yourself a private pension. Of course, some people teaching abroad don't do anything at all about a pension...

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why not ask them directly, by posting on the Teaching Overseas Forum? Scroll down the forums list to find it.

Best wishes