1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Considering a move to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by nmdk93, Mar 29, 2019.

1. nmdk93

nmdk93 New commenter

My wife and I are considering a move to Jeddah to teach (I'm a PE teacher and she is a HLTA). We have not received a job offer yet however, I am still unsure about whether to commit to moving there or not. I have of course done my research of the potential schools out there. However, a lot of the reviews online seem very outdated or someones personal rant against a specific school.. Has anyone got any up to date experience of working and living in Jeddah? I would appreciate it if you would comment on your general package, interview questions/style or whatever else you feel is necessary!

Thank you all in advance.

2. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Why Jeddah? So many better places.

3. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

The perceived wisdom is/was that Jeddah is one of the better places to live and work in the Magic Kingdom! It is a little less strict than Riyadh, it has a decent corniche, as well as shops and cafes. It is just a ferry ride across the Red Sea to Egypt (Hurghada El Gouna and other beach resorts). It also used to have two or three decent schools but I have no experience of them today. As you say much of the info on here and on ISR is very out of date. I think this is mainly as it is not as popular as a destination as it once was, the rise of the S.E. Asian market has seen to that!

nmdk93 likes this.
  4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I do think that I would agree with makhnovite. Jeddah is not such a bad place. I still dream about that amazing Turkish restaurant near the bicycle roundabout. The freshly-baked bread was to die for.

5. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

I declined a job offer in Jeddah years ago and have no regrets.

6. nmdk93

nmdk93 New commenter

If you don't mind me asking how many years did you spend there? and what were your pros and cons? of teaching as well as the actual city.

..I do enjoy a Turkish cuisine. :)

7. nmdk93

nmdk93 New commenter

Thank you for your comment, I have also come across a lot of reviews regarding the corniche and accessibility to travel which sounds fantastic. I am just a bit unsure about the city and actually teaching out there. Maybe I am just being picky but its good to do research nonetheless right.

8. the hippo

I cannot mention specific schools on this forum. You could send me a TES Conversation.

9. salamandes

salamandes New commenter

Hello all.

Is there anyone with recent experience of a school in Jeddah that shares its name with a Scottish band who had a 'smash hit' with their single Kandy Pop?

I am requesting general information about the school as a place to work and any quirks of living in Jeddah as a single male; I also have some specific questions which I'd prefer to discuss via p.m. if anyone would be so kind.

Thanks.

10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The KSA has just tested all its air raid warning signals but what is worse is the only whisky available is JW Red Label! I would rather face Iranian cruise missiles then drink Red Label.

But you can find plenty of Saudi girlfriends as long as they are divorced and don't mind been proportioned by the men.

But seriously have you not been reading the news past the Britex headlines, there is a bit of a war breaking out!

11. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

My brother returned to the UK last week from Jedda after a three year stint. He hated it. Hated the place. He grinned and banked it and eventually no amount of money could keep him there.

There was nothing to do, it was expensive, everything was a ball ache, and eating was the only entertainment.

That whole on-the-verge-of-war thing was the final straw.

12. salamandes

salamandes New commenter

Thank you both.

Moscowbore can I send you a personal message please? Just a couple of other questions that either you or your brother might be able to answer.

13. the hippo

Well, in some ways the KSA is not so very different to some other places in the ME, apart from the lack of booze. Jeddah has some of the best diving and snorkelling on the Red Sea. Actually, the absence of any alcohol through official channels caused a certain camaraderie among expats, as we swapped stories about how to get around the Booze Ban. I recall a particularly horrible non-alcoholic beer called "Three Horses" and it was probably made by them.

abikuwait likes this.