1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Consequences of no exams

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Mar 18, 2020.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Interesting times.
    Some children (and their teachers & parents) will feel mightily affronted that the culmination of all these years of work won't happen.
    Those online revision classes for year 11 aren't going to be well attended.

Maybe though, we'll come up with better ways to determine progression for the next stage of education.
    It could be at the cost of some mightily unsuitable subject choices at post 16.
    Some universities seem to moving away from A levels as the passport to university entry. This may be good, but may be accompanied by finance departments trousering the £9000 from candidates who don't stand a chance.
    Will we end up with some universities reflecting that certain schools always send them good candidates (so sticking with them)?

I am still mulling over what the ideas will mean. I don't know the answers to the questions, and there will be other questions that other heads will think of.
    How do others see it?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

I've seriously never met a less deserving cohort to receive a free pass than the year 11's I've had the fantastic opportunity to attempt to teach this year.

3. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Can you imagine the 'shock' some of these students will face (KS13) when they get their 'pass' to some of the better UK uni's and then have to sit university exams? :eek:

I think Oxford and Cambridge will be hatching their own battle plans as we speak. I bet they won't even LOOK at these 'predicted/deserved' grades.

No, all of you in a room together and sit this exam in silence!

VeronicAmb, Shedman and Mrsmumbles like this.
  4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

It strikes me that this was just dropped on us hours ago-shouldn't it have been discussed in January? And what about the Y6s who have had to deal with new curricula, teachers struggling to cope with rapid changes in ashort time,who had been told that SATs were the important thing to work towards-who are suddenly chucked out of school, perhaps not knowing whether their parents(if key workers) will send them in (or indeed if increasing illness means their school will FULLY shut), who won't see their friends again, who won't be able to go for their usual settling in days at high-school etc? True,their exams are less important, but we shouldn't underestimate the massive impact this will have on the country. Many instances of ASB are blamed on teenagers being bored in the 6 weeks holiday- can you imagine 20/30 weeks? With the hospitals/many clubs and facilities on lockdown?

5. Quartermaster

Quartermaster New commenter

If (big if) schools were able to reopen in September and there are effectively 3-4 months left of this school year to complete, would they consider a complete overhaul of the academic calendar by completing this school year by Christmas and then beginning academic years in January in future?

6. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

It is a great opportunity for people to really consider the state of education and how we can improve it.... I’m not sure that will happen though...

If students are just going to receive predicted grades, what does that mean for our judgements? Some deserve higher, some deserve lower... are people finally realising that GCSE grades are meaningless and KS2 predictions are unreliable?

catherinedavid and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I cannot see that predicted grades will be used. It is just too arbitrary. My bet is that there will be a set of exams at some point in the future. Maybe during the summer.

As stated by others, the y11 and y13 revision classes will see 0 attendance. The government have effectively told those students that further effort is pointless.
    I agree with others that those who get into university will get a severe shock when they are asked to sit really hard exams which they are expected to have worked for.

Further analysis of the bojo announcement yesterday makes me think that "schools closing" is a misrepresentation of the facts. Schools are open. All the sprogs of key workers will make up a significant proportion of the student body. Will teachers be expected to teach online and the sprogs in front of them simultaneously? The parents of the ones at home will see themselves as unfairly disadvantaged.

I also want somebody to ask the specific question about transmission of covid19 from school pupil to teacher. South Korea established that under 25s are asymptomatic carriers and did infect others.

catherinedavid likes this.
  8. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

If I were a HT I would revitalise the old 'Record of Achievement' (or was it 'Attainment') for my school - a portfolio of school based certificates showing what Y11s (and maybe Y13s?) have achieved* at the school, both academically and in other aspects (sport, music, drama, art etc) and hope to present them to the students when school restarts, or by post if nec.

*KS3 SATS, internal school exams, controlled assessment/coursework marks, mock marks, etc

[I posted this on another thread, but it seems relevant here too].

ajrowing, Lara mfl 05 and phlogiston like this.
  9. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Asking hasn't been the problem, journalists have done that. It's getting an answer that's proving elusive!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

If there are no exams we might be making it difficult for people in years to come. Organisations might well regard 2020 students and their grades as questionable.

11. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

If that was the intention then the government should have used the word "postponed" rather than "cancelled".

agathamorse likes this.
  12. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

During WW2 there were various emergency measures put in place and maybe this is also the time for some creative thinking. My very first headteacher was one of those emergency teachers who only had 2 years training after being demobbed. This is certainly the time to rethink university entrance. Get rid of predicted grades and admit students on the basis of their results.

13. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Having seen statements from ministers this morning it appears that there will be no exams.
    Unfair on iGCSE and IB students around the world who are still sitting those exams, currently.
    UK iGCSE and IB students will not be sitting those exams. How can those results ever be considered equitable?

agathamorse likes this.
  14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

A tough lesson in why they should have worked harder for their mocks.
    Most students don't, using the excuse 'they are just mocks and I will work harder for the real thing'.

15. botanybod

botanybod New commenter

It's also not really equitable if this cohort do eventually sit exams. After the disruption to their lives, the results won't be comparable to other years even if they did sit them at some point later in the year. There's the general distraction of the pandemic, lost learning time, isolation and the impact on mental health and welfare, and of course the possibility that a family member could die. We can't presume all children will cope with this well. Postponed exams aren't an appropriate end to this chaos. What on earth that means for their future lives, who knows? What have children massively affected by war done in that past? For the children in the pandemic hot spots it will be like living through a war.

16. meedyateacher

meedyateacher New commenter

Fair solution for awarding this year's GCSE and A Level results:

For each subject in each centre compare UCAS predicted grades to actual results over last five years and calculate average %+ or %-. Ask each subject in each centre to group students into quartiles according to progress since this year's UCAS predictions (mock exams should be part of this judgement where they have been completed). For a centre that over predicts by an average of 10% in a particular subject, then adjust predictions on a sliding scale e.g. 0% change from prediction for quartile with most progress, -5% for quartile with second most progress, -10% third quartile and -20% for quartile with least progress.

Where NEA has been completed those units can be assessed in the normal way, and approach above just used for examined components.

This approach would combine objective, recorded data with a degree of professional judgement from the teachers that know their students the best.

If anyone has any influence on OFQAL or exam boards, please use whatever influence you have to ensure that some kind of fair system is devised. This does not need to be decided today, much better that they take a week or so to devise a robust system that is fair.

agathamorse and cassandramark2 like this.
  17. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

The government have effectively told those students that further effort is pointless.

This is my worry. I have not been around TES for a long time. I have had other things to worry about. But my tudents who are so close to exams in year 13 do now seem to be losing motivation.

I am not worried about predicted grades. Most of them have ALIS , GCSE and mock exam grades we can work from. I do worry because this has been my best ever cohort. I have worked hard with them, got them to this point. They deserve A and B grades that they were getting in their mocks ( which was actually last years papers). I was hoping to go out on a high since this is now my last year of teaching.

Also, I do the Extended Project. Is this going to continue ? After all it is a coursework peice. Again I have students who are just becoming demotivated when they are less than a conclusion away from finishing . We just dont know. Thats the problem.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Wait for tomorrow's announcement. Everything else is speculation.
    Once you know the facts and the directives, you can work to deal with the situation in your school.

19. adamjday

adamjday New commenter

Does anybody deserve a ‘free pass’ with regards to their exam grades?

University and college places can be offered based on forecasts but if students in these exam years aren’t given the opportunity to compete their courses properly whatever their grades end up being will forever come with a huge caveat. Different targeting and assessment processes alone also raises lots of questions about integrity. One more thing, what do the 15/16 year olds in particular spend the next period of time doing? What provision will they be provided with and who will be accountable?

It’s a challenging period for everybody but previous generations have struggled and we’ll get through it.

num3bers likes this.
  20. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

As I haven't been active in A level recruitment for a while, I'm not sure how good the new GCSEs are for aiding selection for A level.
    The year 12 group I taught last year managed no drop outs during the year because of academic inability.
    It is a waste of time when youngsters who can't cope are allowed onto courses. (My daughter has observed this among some of her peers at university).

agathamorse and num3bers like this.