1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Consequences of banning

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gargs, Aug 21, 2015.

1. gargs

gargs Star commenter

This year seems to have been a particularly bad year for banning. A lot of long standing and respected posters have gone - some by their own choice, some through banning.

I've been popping in and out of TES for years and have enjoyed virtual chats with many posters. Some posters have become friends in RL, some I hope to meet one day, some I hope never to meet!

Some posters I have never met (and probably never will) have helped me through difficult times. When these posters are banned, it feels like a loss. The consequence of the latest bannings, for me at least, is a sense of sadness that I won't get to chat to those people again, or read their advice/thoughts.

I'm sure there will be people who will say I'm taking it too seriously but there it is.

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I'm with you there Gargs, the posters on here have been with me for nearly 10 years....

There are folks on here I talk to more than my own parents! and give better advice too..

3. 25975

25975 New commenter

Stick to the rules.

Simple.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I totally agree gargs. The moderators of this forum have reached into my life and interfered in a most unpleasant way. I do take the forums seriously, they are part of my interior life and some significant individuals have gone from it.

5. 25975

25975 New commenter

It's their place. If your friends misbehave they are subject to the T&C like all of us.

6. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Ah, but some flagrantly breach T&Cs and yet seem to be immune from a ban.

All banned or none. It's the inconsistency that grates

7. 25975

25975 New commenter

I agree.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Which aspect of the T&Cs did you notice tidal and airy breach?

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

we all know that Tidal and Airy didn't breach any T&Cs. like everyone else, I will miss their posts, insights and interesting posts.

10. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

The posters who have gone this year are a loss. I will miss reading their thoughts. I have learned a lot. I just assume TES want the forums to go because they are more trouble than they are worth (to them that is). If they do go though they won't be able to call on them to back up claims in their articles.

11. They took it upon themselves to publish TES proprietary, confidential information.

That'll do it.

12. 25975

25975 New commenter

You don't know any such thing. Get over yourself.

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Yip.

[​IMG] So true

14. Have you seen the thread over on Mumsnet Chat for escaped TESsers? LOTF and others are also in the Staffroom topic, under the Education section.

15. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

That would be fine if 1. the rules were applied evenly and fairly and 2. those same rules applied to everybody.

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Ordinal, as a 'new' poster, you cannot comment on circumstances that occurred before you joined. Your comment was unnecessary and rude.. if the mods were consistent in their application of T&Cs it might be understandable, but, as many others have said, the inconsistency grates. There have been rude and unpleasant posts from posters who remain. Why are the rules different?

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The staffroom on Mumsnet is pretty boring, but perhaps and influx of Tessers will enliven it.

18. Is that in the T&Cs?

Tell me, is history taught in your school?

You're going to have to be more specific.

19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I apologise Ordinal. It was not your comment, it was that of 'numbers.' Too late to edit.

20. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Is 25975 possibly another banned poster in disguise? I think we should be told!

Or perhaps a disgruntled complainer who was unable to get someone banned?