1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conscious Sedation..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by silverlillies, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Evening all

I recently underwent a minor op and Conscious Sedation was used but it didn't work on me and I remained completely lucid and aware of what was going on.
    Anybody else had this happen to them/know why it doesn't work on some people?
    Thanks

2. Isn't that what's supposed to happen then?

3. It hasn't happened to me but I was with one of my students who was having a blood test. She is severely autistic with severe learning disabilities and is also needle phobic. Her mother requested that Midazolam was administered to make her drowsy but it had no effect on her-she was still very anxious and hypervigilant.

4. Apparently you are meant to feel deeply relaxed and 'zoned out'. You aren't meant to be able to remember much afterwards either. Neither was true of me! Doctor said that for some people this just happens.
    I wasn't super anxious or anything either- it just didn't do anything for me.

5. Funny how it affects different people - I have had it done a couple of times, both times it said I wouldn't be 'asleep' or anything just not able to remember, and both times I remember nothing. I might as well have been under a general anaesthetic!
    I suppose as long as you aren't in pain and don't mind what is going on then it is working - just very different for different people!

6. I was sedated when I had an investigative procedure, I remember absolutely nothing about it whatsoever, it was the same as being under a general anaesthetic.