1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conned again!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by George1164, May 28, 2012.

1. About 7:20 this morning, I got a call from an agency, offering half a day of exam invigilation. It was only £8 p.h. but the school was within a quarter of an hours cycling distance, so I thought I might as well. I got the school just before 8, was handed a bulky file and pointed in the direction of the room. Following the surprisingly detailed instructions, I spent almost an hour, cutting out numbers, sellotaped them to desks, and did all the usual stuff for about 20 candidates. After the exam got going, as there were four of us there, the chap in charge said I could go. I went to the school office to get my form signed, so I was well p*ssed off when I was only put down for half an hour; preparing for the exam doesn't count, apparently. I had a good moan to the agency, which said it would speak to the school, but I am not holding my breath, B*stards!

2. Ouch!
    I'm really surprised by this, because when I did some invigilation in January it was really good money for such easy work. They were paying £60/day or £30 for a half day, which is just under what I get as a Cover Supervisor, and more than I get as a TA.
    When I did a 'full day', it was actually nowhere near that. I had to be there for 8:15 to set up for an exam that started at just after 9, the exam was an hour long, and then we cleared up, sorted the papers into piles for marking, and were finished at around 10:45! I was then told I was free to go, and to come back at 1pm to set up for the afternoon exam, then went home at about 3pm! Unfortunately the school was nearly 20 miles away from my home, but luckily it was near the dancing school where I teach at the weekend, so I let myself in and practiced for a couple of hours at lunchtime.
    I'm sorry to hear this isn't the case all round - if I ever end up on supply after my PGCE, I shall avoid doing invigilation for other agencies...