1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Connectives games

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon312, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Up we go post!!
    Lxx

2. A very simple game which only requires flashcards with the connectives you want to be used:
    1. Start a story any way you like. Say about 2 sentences to introduce character and setting e.g. Once upon a time Gertie wandered to her Grandma's house through the dark scary woods. There she met a white rabbit.
    2. Hold up a connective card and ask a child to use it to continue the story. You can target different abilities by the flashcard you give e.g. 'meanwhile' is decidedly tougher than 'next'
    3. Continue the story until you either degenerate into silliness (my kids love trying to make everyone giggle with wild inventive plot lines) or you feel ready to stop.

My class love this game. I have a random generator program on my IWB which generates the next connective for me- keeps the kids on their toes but unfortunate when 'finally' comes up too early! You can also involve the children in choosing the next connective, or adding further ones to the list.

3. Hi, wondered whether either of you could send me a link to any of these IWB activities you are talking about. They sound really good.

I have just this minute been marking some of my children's writing and whilst they are using some connectives and sentence openers, I think they really need to broaden their horizons!!!

4. The program I referred to is an excel book that uses macros to run. It was made by a friend of mine so I'm afraid I cannot share without her permission. I'm sure there would be something similar online somewhere. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

5. No worries :)

6. Brenden - you're a star!
    Lxx

7. Oooh that is very good Brenden

8. Any other games?
    Lxx

9. Everybody play with my connectives thingie

10. Oooooh :S

11. ooh i love this! If my low literacy claSS start using conectives, i'm going to kiss you! if ythey get level 4's drinks are on me!

12. I have made the 'Go!' button bigger so it is easier to use on an interactive whiteboard. I've also removed the entry "to recapitulate" because anyone who knows that word is probably already using connectives.

13. Very good. I like the options to choose the type of connective- useful, and stops 'finally' coming up too early!

(Although I must admit, I'm sticking with my version as I've got the widget symbols for each one appearing with it for my pupil with severe speech/communication difficulties)

14. Some wonderful person - I don't know her username here - sent me a file with a stack of new connectives, so now the 'time' and 'contrast' options have more variety, and there is a new connective type to choose from called 'Persuasive'

http://stuff.brendenisteaching.com/connectives/

15. You were very welcome Brenden! :) After all you do so much for everyone else!

16. Ah, the mystery solved! Thanks again. Lisamarie310883 was going to keep me posted with her other ideas but I haven't heard anything since. Ceriburd, how are your lower literacy group doing?

17. a simple game i play is to use large numeracy dice, stick different connectives on the faces, throw it, get chn to 'headder it' and see which connective it lands on. I then get a child to pick an unusual noun and verb out of different tubs. Chn have to then put them all together in a sentence. They love this game because it lets them be creative!