1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Connectives and conjunctions - 2 quick questions.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by becktonboy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Would anyone have a copy of the resource please?

kat3tj5@hotmail.com

Many thanks! :)

2. I've tried to download your resource (both Reb1Mc and tafkam) which looks like it will be incredibly helpful - but there seems to be a problem opening it. I don't suppose you could email me a copy, could you? Would be forever grateful! binti_chafu@hotmail.com Many thanks!

3. Please may I have a copy of your resource please?

Email: kaysanders@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you.

4. I can see you posted this a while ago! If you have the resources still, it would be a great help if you didn't mind sending!

Thank you, Kelly.

kelkellymac@yahoo.co.uk

5. CillaJames

CillaJames New commenter

Hello, I am trying to get my head around this. I would really appreciate a copy of the poster please. Cilla.james@me.com
    Thanks

6. Jeffers06

Jeffers06 New commenter

Would love that resource if possible!

Shona.jefferson@hotmail.co.uk

7. knowsnowt

knowsnowt New commenter

A lot of Teachers at my school only use the term connectives and seem confused about conjunctions.

8. tutor65

tutor65 New commenter

Hi, I know this is quite old but would love to see this resource.
    Many thanks
    dpopat@live.co.uk

9. AaronLaws

AaronLaws New commenter

Thought I'd add my version of the explanations already given as the newest SPaG expectations require even more precision of the terminology.

This is something I have included as part of a laminated support mat for every child (as well as other explanations of complex grammatical terms) and seems to have worked well for not only helping them to remember the names of the different types of connectives but also understand how and when they're used.

I have also attached a visual which I found useful for helping me (and the staff in my school) understand the differences between the different types of connectives!

Connectives: Co-ordinating Conjunctions (FANBOYS)

• These almost always go in the middle of a sentence; generally, don’t start a sentence with them!
    • They connect two main clauses.
    for and nor but or yet so

Connectives: Subordinating Conjunctions

• These can be in the middle of a sentence.
    • They start a subordinate clause.
    • If they begin a sentence, use a comma to mark the end of the first clause (the subordinate one!)

after although as as if as long as as soon as because before despite even if even though if if only in order that just as now once provided that rather than since so that though unless until what when whenever wherever whether whereas while which with

Connectives: Conjunctive Adverbs

• These usually only start sentences
    • They are followed immediately by a comma.
    • They link two sentences' ideas together.

Accordingly, Also, Anyway, Besides, Consequently, Finally, For example, For instance, Further, Furthermore, Hence, However, Incidentally, Indeed, In fact, Instead, Likewise, Meanwhile, Moreover, Namely, Now, Of course, On the contrary, On the other hand, Otherwise, Nevertheless, Next, Nonetheless, Similarly, So far, Until now, Still, That is to say, Therefore, Thus,

• CHALLENGE: Look at how they can follow sentence in a variety of ways. Pay attention to the way the punctuation is used.
      • Jake liked eating cheese. However, Thomas didn’t.
      • Jake liked eating cheese. Thomas, however, didn’t.
      • Jake liked eating cheese; however, Thomas didn’t.
      • Jake liked eating cheese; Thomas, however, didn’t.

Attached Files:

Lara mfl 05 and wilberforce123 like this.
  10. debbiepansies13

debbiepansies13 New commenter

11. debbiepansies13

debbiepansies13 New commenter

I know this is a very old message but would love to see the resource if still available . My email is debbiepansies13@googlemail.com

Thank you.

12. Hi
    I would love a copy of this too please.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2018