1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Connectives and conjunctions - 2 quick questions.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by becktonboy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Check wikipedia for a definition and examples. Conjunctions are words which join clauses together, connectives join thoughts and include conjunctions (my own rough guide, just made up BTW).

2. DemonicLemon

DemonicLemon New commenter

I tried googling them earlier and it came up with the same list for both!
    Will go check Wikipedia, if my Internet connection lets me!

3. This comes from a guide I put together for staff at my school. Any help?

connective -A connective is a word or phrase that links ideas together.

Connectives can be conjunctions (eg but, when, because) or connecting adverbs (eg however, then, therefore).
    It is important that children recognise the difference between conjunctions and the other connectives because they are used in two different ways. Conjunctions have the job of joining two ideas in one sentence whereas the other connectives join the ideas in one sentence to the ideas in a previous sentence or paragraph.

Examples of conjunctions:
    and but so if when
    after as since before although
    unless provided that because as long as apart from while or until whilst whereas
    even if whether or not whenever so that even though

Conjunctions often occur in the middle of a sentence. However, most of them can be rearranged to the beginning of a sentence.

I went home because I was scared.
    Because I was scared, I went home.

The man left although he did not want to.
    Although he did not want to, the man left.

(Note the use of comma in these rearranged sentences.)

And, but or and so are co-ordinating conjunctions. As a general rule this means they should not be used at the beginning of a sentence unless it is to achieve a particular effect.

Examples of other connectives:
    Therefore However Also As well as
    Moreover Furthermore Firstly Secondly Thirdly Finally Eventually Then
    Next Later Above all In particular Especially Significantly Indeed Notably
    Meanwhile Afterwards Likewise Similarly
    Alternatively Otherwise For example In addition
    Consequently In conclusion To summarise
    As a result Nevertheless On the other hand
    Despite this On the contrary As already stated

These other connectives maintain the cohesion of a text in several basic ways,
    including:
    addition also, furthermore, moreover
    opposition however, nevertheless, on the other hand
    reinforcing besides, anyway, after all
    explaining for example, in other words, that is to say
    listing first(ly), first of all, finally
    indicating result therefore, consequently, as a result
    indicating time just then, meanwhile, later

These other connectives are part of a new sentence. They do not join two ideas in the same sentence. Therefore they normally occur at the beginning of a sentence.

subordinating connectives or subordinating conjunctions ?These are all of the conjunctions detailed above that are not co-ordinating conjunctions. (All of the conjunctions except for and, but, or and so.)

Welsh1968 and SarahJayne66 like this.
  4. DemonicLemon

That's fantastic Reb1Mc, thanks very much for that.

Will have to make a lovely poster for my children now.

Thanks again.

DL
    :)

5. Glad to be of some help. Took quite a while getting my own head around it. I have quite a simple resource with conjunctions and other connectives in different colours. I gave them to my children and they formulated sentences. They put the connectives at the beginning (just to keep it simple) and conjunctions could go at the beginning or in the middle -unless of course they chose a co-ordinating conjunction. Quite happy to share if you leave email address.

6. DemonicLemon

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

You have to ask yourself how young children can be expected to understand these terms when we adults find them so difficult.

SodaPop likes this.
  8. Well put Inky.

I had to learn all about them to teach my YR6 class- how did I manage to get this far without knowing the definitions myself?

Jazz- pupil of the 70's/80's!!

9. Reb1Mc thank you so much it is a very comprehensive explanation to a very tricky subject!
    please could I have the other bits you spoke about too!
    Thankyou soooo much
    jennifer1.ray@ntlworld.com

10. Even I understood your explanation enough to now explain it to a class!!
    Could I have a copy of your stuff please if you do not mind emailing one more.
    n.richardson9@gateshead.org

11. jlfrith

jlfrith New commenter

Thanks Reb1Mc, that was a great explanation. Would also appreciate a copy of any other resource if you are willing to share. Many thanks

jlfrith@hotmail.com

12. Thank you for a great explanation. I will be using this to explain to other members of our staff who are still confused! I would be grateful for your other resources if you don't mind sharing. Thank you.whizywhizzy@hotmail.co.uk

13. Mail sent

14. Blucat

Blucat New commenter

Can't believe I typed that exact question into google and got your answer. It's a great explanation which I will need a read a few times to get my head around it but if you still have the resource Reb1Mc I would really appreciate a copy, if you are willing to share. My email is gina@dsl.pipex.com. Thanks again.

15. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Not quite the original resource, but I have two posters that I use in my classroom based on Wordle-style presentation. One is of what I call text-level connectives, that is, those connectives which support cohesion through a text. The other is of subordinating conjunctions. Those are the ones which make complex sentences. They are in the resource bank, here:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6029320
    Because I happen to teach older students, I don't have anything for co-ordinating conjunctions, but I'm sure something could be added for the FANBOYS co-ordinating conjunctions (For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So). I just call them 'boring' in KS3 [​IMG]

16. Would very much like to try the resource
    paulgreenwood59"at"btinternet.com
    Thanks

17. Is it possible to send me a copy too, go to teach this next week!!
    Thanks in advance
    deb_m77@hotmail.com