1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Connecting tv to internet

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Dec 27, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Can you help if you have done this
    I want connect TV to internet.is supposed to be internet ready and i do have virgin wireless broadband. @50 Mbps
    I have choices.
    1 stick in a pc stick such as the samsung one..or use chrome.amazon stick
    2 connect to a hub via a relay..but running wires is not an easy option so would have to stream over the radio waves.
    3 use a media player streamer/although i have already dvd and dvd recorer connected
    the man purpose it to ge to things like youtube and the ilk and to possibly stream photographs from the PC.although i am aware that posed another problem of access nto own sercure areas.
    I do not watch a lot of films so have little need of netflcx and the like....but do like to see older movies and some of the more obscure stuff i watch in You tube
    Any one with experience of such set ups please?

2. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

You can have a wired connection via the mains. One example is TP Link

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Will have to discuss with my son who set it up for us, but we have a system with a sort of mini-computer attached to the back of the computer to pick up internet and then we have an external harddrive so we can stream anything to any other tv / screen elsewhere in the house. I know I have to switch to something called 'Multi-media' to watch recorded programmes (set as series so automatically records anytime that particular programme shows up in the schedules) and I switch between TV HDM1 HDM2 External depending on what I want to do.
    Can send you details if you need some when I'v had time to check and talk with son.

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It would be helpful to know what connections you have available on the TV Oldsome
    Or if this is a "smart" TV as these will change how you can or should connect

Lara mfl 05 and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

This is what we have.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I use this for my TV.

7. oldsomeman

we have a standard optical hub in the house with at the moment 5 wired connections and several wireless connections for mobile devices/phones
    Am considering a new super hub from virgin but seems in the house we have a few black spots in some rooms.I can receive the internet connection right down the street but not in the top of the house.If i have the new hub i have to go Wi_FI throughout the whole of the house meaning i have to buy wireless cards for my desktops as they use a line LAN at the moment.
    To use the TV virgin as suggesting i upgrade to the 200 package
    However, still not sure...which is best for tv.a can buy chrome or Amazon fire..but they mutually exclude each others programmes....so the wonder if easier to connect direct to a computer..which would be complicated if i have to stream wireless out of the box for the tv card to pick it up :(
    As to media players..mmmmmm

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

A mains connection should work with your wired connections, but my old BT TV box didn't like mains connections or wifi.

9. oldsomeman

yes but i might have to lose wired connections if i upgrade to the new super hub from virgin..so in itself might mean i do have to have a wireless connection to the tv

10. oldsomeman

those t link stuff doesit not interfere with your connections or reception?

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think you can have several tlinks in plugs but one to the hub rather than each plug being wired to the hub so you might gain.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My reception is fine. and everything else is working.

13. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

No.