1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conjunctivitis

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by toastandtea, Nov 8, 2018.

1. toastandtea

toastandtea New commenter

Does bacterial conjunctivitis warrant staying off school for a day as a teacher? Waking up eye crusted together with the gunk, sore etc. NHS website says no need to stay off but lots of other sites say it’s highly contagious?

2. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Well I was told by doctor to send my kids back to school when they had it.(was some years ago now)
    Have you got some drops?
    I think there is less chance of you passing it on, as an adult as you are less likely to rub your eyes and then touch other people.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I didn't have time off when I was infested with it a while back.
    It was a pain keeping the drops in a fridge while I was at school and remembering to take them home at the end of the day.
    I hope it clears up soon.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Go with the NHS guidance. You don't need to avoid work unless you are feeling very unwell.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

If its a proper bad infection, it can affect vision, and lighting can hurt etc, so consider the impact if that especially if driving. Personally yes I would probably take a day off because I have such trouble with eyes I woukd stay home and rest them.
    But I don't think there's a 'should ' or 'shouldnt'.

6. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Not usually

7. mothorchid

mothorchid Lead commenter

I was signed off by a doctor for a couple of days when I had it - he explained it is usually something you succumb to when very run down, so he felt I needed a couple of days in bed.
    But I would think it's your choice.
    I hope you feel better soon.

8. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

I would stay off

9. toastandtea

I took a day off yesterday but was back in today and really wish I hadn’t come back in as I’m completely wiped now, utterly exhausted. My eye is absolutely killing, splitting headache and just feel completely run down. Not exactly conducive with teaching eh!

10. mothorchid

mothorchid Lead commenter

When I was signed off with conjunctivitis, the Dr said "You will feel bad. One of your organs is septic."
    Sorry to hear you feel so rough tough. Can you have a quiet weekend?

11. toastandtea

Oh blimey!
    Nah no quiet weekend unfort, my 1yr old daughter has just come out of having conjunctivitis and has bronchiolitis and she only wants me which really doesn’t help

12. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Any illness can affect different people in different ways. If it was a fairly mild infection and I didn't look or feel too bad, I'd go to work. But if felt really rough and knew it would affect my concentration - or, I have to admit, if I looked like some of the kids I've seen with conjunctivitis - I'd stay home.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah!
    Have you tried Conjunctivitis .com?
    That's a site for sore eyes.

(Tim Vine,
    but wish it was mine)