1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conjunctions or connectives?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Munge, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Munge

Munge New commenter

Are connectives a thing of the past? Are they all now conjunctions?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

When I was in school (back in the days of Grammar Schools which actually taught grammar) we only knew about conjunctions- words used to link ideas together or in David Crystal's words 'a linking word'. (In my opinion one of the best/ better authorities on grammar)
    There are two kinds of conjunction. The ones which just ‘join together’ (or coordinate) words, phrases, and sentences are called coordinating conjunctions or coordinators. The chief ones are and, or, and but. The other conjunctions are called subordinating conjunctions or subordinators. Their job is to show that one clause is part of another clause. They include when, because, if, although, since, and while. There are over 50 altogether, expressing several kinds of meaning.

Look at your connective triangle and you'll see level 1 connectives are simply joinging words ie words which join two sentences together, whereas the higher levels move on to the connecting ideas together with main and subordinate clauses.

3. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

A conjunction connects two independent clauses into a single sentence. A connective connects two ideas - often separate sentences, but not always. Conjunctions are connectives, but not all connectives are conjunctions - well that is my understanding.

Connectives have confused many a teacher in recent years, meaning teachers were teaching children to create run on sentences - spent a good while trying to explain why the adverb therefore could not be used as a conjunction without the addition of 'and' or a semicolon.

4. Lara mfl 05

Problem is also caused by a sentence may also be a clause.

5. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

A conjunction links an independent (main) and dependent (subordinate) clause into a single sentence
    e.g. The dog ate the snacks when we were preparing the main meal.

You can't use a conjunction between main (independent) clauses or simple sentences. However, you can use a conjunct between two independent clauses, like in the following example:

e.g. Sarah likes mince pies; Nick, however, prefers Christmas pudding.

Conjuncts are often used to link sentences, e.g. Uniforms give pupils a shared identity. Furthermore, they stop school becoming a fashion parade.

'Connectives' is an umbrella term for linking words (like conjunctions and conjuncts) that came in - I think - with the NLS introduced in the late 90s. By lumping the words together, a distinction was lost, which led to the problems rouxx has already mentioned.

6. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Question: If you have -

The dog ate the snacks.
    We were preparing the main meal.

Then those are two independent sentences - the conjunction 'when' links them, making one independent and the other dependent?

That's what I meant by two independent - I reckon, I should have said sentences rather than clauses though.

I rather think connectives came into fashion with Ros Wilson and her Big Writing rather than the NLS

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Connectives featured in the original National Curriculum and in the NLS

8. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

The dog ate the snacks when we were preparing the main meal.
    When we were preparing the main meal,
    the dog ate the snacks.

The conjunction 'when' is part of the subordinate clause here ^. That is why, when you switch the two clauses around, the sentence still works.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

Conjunctions also join words. E.g thick and thin.
    They also join phrases e.g. all the king's horses and all the kings men

10. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

"When I was in school (back in the days of Grammar Schools which actually taught grammar) "

just need to add to this that the "Grammar Schools" were so called because they taught Latin grammar.

Ones like the one I attended pretended that English grammar was the same.

(Had to go on to a n English language degree course to learn that that was not true!)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Msz

12. Msz

13. Malenko

Malenko New commenter

Are you sure about this, as from a cursory glance I see the '95 (Dearing) Primary NC (English section) featured conjunctions but not connectives that I can see. Of course that slimmed down the curriculum substantially and so it might have been in one of the earlier versions then cut (or are you referring to the '99 NC).

14. Ambojambo

Ambojambo New commenter

simply put ...
    connectives are a form of conjunction ... therefore they are all conjunctions... just with variations.
    That's how one of my Year 6s put it when we were debating it in class.

15. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

Umm... possibly you could argue the reverse is true, but not as you've written it.

rouxx and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. ilovepoppies

ilovepoppies New commenter

We were told yesterday that 'connectives' are no more. Every word that came under the connective umbrella is now known as a conjunction.

17. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Really?

Didn't "connectives" include terms such as "However", "Yet", "Nevertheless"...

I remember marking NCT Writing when children made a point of beginning every paragraph with such a term, whether it made sense or not.

These words do connect but you can't call them conjunctions.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. Msz

Who on Earth told you that!

19. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

'Conjunctions' have always been a part of speech / word class used to connect or coordinate parts of a sentence.

The term 'connective' was coined more recently to include all sorts of word or phrase with a linking function. A 'connective' might link words, phrases, clauses, sentences or paragraphs.

Conjunctions are a type of connective; not all connectives are a conjunction.

Words like 'afterwards' and 'therefore' - which used to be considered connectives - are not actually conjunctions. In terms of parts of speech, they would be considered adverbs.

David Crystal is essential reading for this type of stuff - I'd recommend 'Rediscover Grammar'.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Absolutely! [​IMG]