1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conjunctions and connectives - please can someone explain the difference!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sarah Warren, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Sarah Warren

Sarah Warren Occasional commenter

Hi

Please can someone explain the difference between conjunctions and connectives.

Thanks

2. Sarah Warren

Hi

Please can someone explain the difference between conjunctions and connectives.

Thanks

3. Conjunctions join two ideas in one sentence e.g. The man walked to the shop and he bought some sweets. I will go out if it stops raining.
    Some examples include: and but or if so when unless as until although whereas before after
    And, but and or are co-ordinating conjunctions. This basically means they join two main clauses. In practice it means children cannot move them to the beginning of sentences. On the other hand, subordinatinf conjunctions can be moved to the beginning of a sentence and the the sentence will always need a comma. E.g. When it stops raining, I will go out. As I am cold, I will fetch a blanket.

Connectives mean any word with a job of joining things. This means that conjunctions are a type of connective. There are another type of connective. These join ideas in one sentence to the ideas in a previous sentence or paragraph. E.g. However, On the other hand, Nevertheless, In conclusion, Meanwhile.
    These words are nearly always at the beginning of a sentence.

(So, contrary to popular belief you shouldn't write.
    The man was unkind however he had lots of friends.
    This should be: The man was wicked. However, he had lots of friends.)

Beware! Lots of resources do not make this distinction clear and some actually teach it wrong. This explains the number of children who try to use connectives which are NOT conjunctions as conjunctions. I have resorted to making most of my own resources. Have a couple of resources I could send if you leave your email address.

Hope that helps despite being a very long reply!

4. Don't know if I am right but I think of conjunctions as linking two main clauses e.g. Mary wants a blue ball AND John has a yellow ball. And then connectives as linking a main clause with a subordinate clause e.g. ALTHOUGH Mary wants a blue ball, John has a yellow ball.

5. Hi Reb1 Mc,

Please may I too have a copy of your connectives/conjunction resources.
    Many thanks.

funny-miss@hotmail.co.uk

6. Yeah just got to find my pen drive with them on. Have a list of range of conjunctions and a seperate list of connectives which aren't conjunctions. Teach them as two separate things so not to confuse the children. Also think I have a sheet with sentences to join with the most appropriate conjunction (with no howevers in sight). Will send when I find pen. :)

7. hpblossom

hpblossom New commenter

With you on this one Reb. Another one to flag up is 'then'. Then is NOT a conjunction.

I went shopping, then I went to the cinema. This is WRONG, despite what many resources say.
    I went shopping. Then I went to the cinema. This is RIGHT.

8. Yes. I am so glad I have found someone who agrees. It is so hard to convince people and so so so hard to find accurate resources. you can use 'and then' and you can say If....., then....... . as far as I'm aware. Think I am overly anal about all this though. Most people don't seem to think it matters.

9. Reb1Mc, thank you for your explanation. I teach year 4 and have been struggling with this as I didn't really understand the difference myself. It's all so much clearer now!!!

Could I be really cheeky and ask for a copy of the resources that you have made? My e-mail is ang1_m@yahoo.co.uk

10. hpblossom

hpblossom New commenter

11. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

12. funny miss not sending to your mail???!!! everyone else you should have mail

13. Sarah Warren

Reb1Mc

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your message. Brilliant explanation although I have had to read it several times for it to go in. I would love a copy of your resources if that's ok. It may help to make it even clearer.

Thanks

Sarah
    sarah.warren41@ntlworld.com

14. Thank you so much Reb1Mc, will use these next week x

15. No worries snoopy. Glad you think they will be useful. I couldn't find the longer list of conjunctions and longer list of connectives that I had, but I'm hoping you get the idea. Sorry Sarah, I was trying to get it out in a simple way but knew I was rambling...as usual!

16. Sorry to be a bandwagon jumper, but if i could have a copy too i'd really appreciate it. Want to get some of my children working at a higher level, and this is one of the things they have to do. Its so damn confusing.

jumpingstarfish@hotmail.com

17. Practice is the noun practise is the verb.
    So if you are doing the practise it is e.g. I practise my tables. I must practise more often. Practice is the name of a time when you might do practise. e.g. teaching practice or netball practice. The only way I can work it out is think that it is the same as advice and advise. You get advice (noun). You advise other people (verb). That simple enough or have I confused you more?

18. What year group jumping starfish and what level you trying to move them from/to?