1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conjugating verbs

Discussion in 'English' started by gruoch, Feb 9, 2012.

1. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Am I the last person on the planet who teaches this?

2. tica

tica New commenter

Do you teach it to native speakers?

3. gruoch

Absolutely.

4. No, I do it sometimes as well, usually in a fit of temper when my class can't identify a verb or a tense.

5. Conjugating verbs[​IMG]

Are you even on this planet?[​IMG]

6. Facetious

Facetious New commenter

When my Y9s couldn't identify the verb in the sentence 'I am hungry' I decided it was best to go over conjugating the verb 'to be' with them. I'm trying to improve literacy levels in our department but many of my colleagues are adamant that they won't be using terminology with the pupils as they don't feel they need to know word classes and the like. I'm not giving up though - the kids actually tell me they're interested in this stuff, so that's all the encouragement I need.

7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I'm sure that the MFL department at your place have very special voodoo dolls for these colleagues.
    To answer the question, yes, I teach English conjugation to my MFL classes, because they can't begin to grasp translation skills before they have learned their own language properly. Not to mention that it may be useful one day for them to know whether to write their, there or they're - possessive pronoun, adverb or verb. As you say, pupils like knowing the proper terminology for the tools/concepts they are using, just as they would be expected to in DT or geography.

8. gruoch

They'd be surprised what they learn in primary, then. Do your colleagues know what a grapheme or a diagraph is?
    Most of the kids I teach have heard the word 'verb' but have no idea what one is and those who do have never come across an infinitive.

9. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

their, there or they're - possessive pronoun, adverb or verb.
    I was 'told off' by a former (MFL) colleague for claiming that their was a possessive pronoun. Apparently, it is a possessive adjective - and I can see the logic.
    Back on topic - I think introducing and using metalanguage can only be helpful, both for general accuracy in writing and increased sophistication of RAF4/5 responses.

10. wigglyworm

wigglyworm New commenter

In answer to the original question, every year teach verb conjugation to Year 13 English Language students. I also teach them what an infinitive is and most of them need an introduction to the verb 'to be'.
    If I didn't do this they apparently wouldn't have a clue. And I think that's awful, (aside from the fact that it would seriously hinder their ability to pass A2 English Language.