1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confusion with contract and pay from the local council

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ricepudding87, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Dear James,

I have been working at a Primary school for the past year, initially part time before being made full time in the summer term. Therefore, I am still an NQT and have roughly a half term of assessment still to go on the probation period. The reason for bringing this up is that I have a new job beginning at a local middle school in September. The contract they have sent me, from the council, states that I am being payed at point 2 on the main pay scale and that doesn't seem right to me. Furthermore, the contract I had with my previous school was terminated at the end of July and my new contract does not begin until the 1st of September. Despite this being the case the council has payed me a full months wages for August. Would you advise contacting the council and paying the money back as I don't think I am entitled to it, regardless of how much I need that money at the moment.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Dear James,

I have been working at a Primary school for the past year, initially part time before being made full time in the summer term. Therefore, I am still an NQT and have roughly a half term of assessment still to go on the probation period. The reason for bringing this up is that I have a new job beginning at a local middle school in September. The contract they have sent me, from the council, states that I am being payed at point 2 on the main pay scale and that doesn't seem right to me. Furthermore, the contract I had with my previous school was terminated at the end of July and my new contract does not begin until the 1st of September. Despite this being the case the council has payed me a full months wages for August. Would you advise contacting the council and paying the money back as I don't think I am entitled to it, regardless of how much I need that money at the moment.

Thanks for your help in advance.

3. fluffysparkles

fluffysparkles New commenter

If you put dear James in the title you should get a personal response. As far as I know,though I could be wrong, you are entitled to full pay for august as teachers are paid 52 weeks a year. And I think you move up a pay point 2 nd year anyway. Being an n q t doesn't matter, some nqts negotiate point 2 as their starting salary :) enjoy spending it and stop worrying!

4. You have worked more than 26 weeks so you are entitled to a main scale points progression, this is not affected by being part-time and is not linked to passing induction so this is right.
    If you have worked the full summer term then you are entitled to be paid for the summer.

5. Hi
    From what you write M2 seems to be correct, you need to have completed work in 26 seperate weeks (full time or part time) in the previous scho9ol year in order to move from M1 to M2 - I suspect that you meet this criterion.
    Contracts with LAs normally run until the end of August, so, again, it may well be that the LA is recognising this. If your actual contract stated end of July then they couyld come back to you and erquest that the overpayment is returned, given that the overpayment was their mistake you may be able to negotiate a repayment plan over two or there months with no penalty.
    Persoanlly I would leave it until you are in post and on the payroill at your permanent post then e-mail to enquire if the payment was correct - keep a copy of the e-maila nd wait for the response.
    James