1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confusion over maternity cover: advice welcome.

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by francismccrory, Dec 7, 2015.

1. francismccrory

francismccrory New commenter

Hi,
    I just wondered if there might be anyone out there who might advise me on this one.
    I've been lucky enough to land myself a part time maternity cover post in a very nice school from January until October 2016. I'd like to think I can prove myself worth keeping on beyond the maternity cover expiry. However should allow this desire and my optimism about the job prevent me from chasing new leads in the January / February / March peak season for Job adverts for September openings? I'd feel it a bit discourteous, having just accepted a job from a Head teacher to be then asking for a reference. Any advice welcom

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Hello @francismccrory

This is a general help forum - for those having problems using the site. You might be better to post this in Workplace Dilemmas where you may get more responses to your query.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

This should probably be in workplace dilemmas. This is a forum for problems with this forum.
    I would say that if the lady you're covering returns, and if there are no additional vacancies in your current school, then they will not be able to offer you a longer term role no matter how brilliant you are.
    Starting another job in September is probably within the rules of your contract.
    I would start as you mean to go on. See how you like the school once you're there and working. Once they've got a feel for you (half term?), it will then be worth having a "what if?" conversation with your head. I doubt many jobs will come up before then, and by then you will know how the land lies.
    Good luck
    P

4. francismccrory

francismccrory New commenter

Thank you P

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I wouldn't advise just waiting and seeing what happens - the postholder can return at any time after eight weeks (I believe), and only has to give 21 days' notice. Enjoy your post, but do take opportunities to look for jobs. Good luck.