1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confusion about application 'asks'.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Flora2, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I'm looking at applying for an international job for August this year. I'm not particularly fussy about where I go, so I've been looking at various different adverts.
    I don't quite understand what they are asking for as it's so different for each school - I need a translation.
    If it just asks for a CV and references, do I assume they don't want the usual quite long application statement/letter (like you'd send on a UK application form), or that they DO?
    In my mind, it's obvious that they'd want some sort of application statement, but it seems that some of the adverts are VERY direct, so I don't want to get it wrong and be dismissed immediately for being unable to interpret an advert.
    I have searched these boards, but there is no clear answer on it. I'm a rookie at this international malarky, please be kind. Thanks.

2. I'm looking at applying for an international job for August this year. I'm not particularly fussy about where I go, so I've been looking at various different adverts.
    I don't quite understand what they are asking for as it's so different for each school - I need a translation.
    If it just asks for a CV and references, do I assume they don't want the usual quite long application statement/letter (like you'd send on a UK application form), or that they DO?
    In my mind, it's obvious that they'd want some sort of application statement, but it seems that some of the adverts are VERY direct, so I don't want to get it wrong and be dismissed immediately for being unable to interpret an advert.
    I have searched these boards, but there is no clear answer on it. I'm a rookie at this international malarky, please be kind. Thanks.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

As you're presumably submitting by email, put a cover letter as the email would be my advice. If they don't want to read it, they can just download the attachments and get on with the cull ;p

And tailor your letter to the school - not 'Dear Principal'. If they see their names they're more likely to read and it gives an extra opp to sell yourself, eh?

4. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I think those schools that request CV usually, but not always, expect a letter of application or statement of educational philosophy targetted towards their school. If applying for a position via email I tend to say 'please find enclosed.....etc etc' in the body of the email then attach a letter of application clearly stating that this is the letter of application by its name and a separate CV and referee information. The school can then decide to open/download the documents as they wish. The competition for overseas posts in fierce so you have to sell yourself when you have the opportunity. It is much easier when there is an application form!

5. Thanks very much. I've spoken to a friend working in the ME who said the same as you guys too in terms of giving them the option.
    I think that due to my 'don't really mind whether I get anything or not' approach to it, I probably WON'T get anything, but it's good practice for when I definitely decide I want to go.