1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confusing curriculum statements

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissRundle14, Oct 10, 2015.

1. MissRundle14

MissRundle14 New commenter

Is it just me that gets confused by the NC statements!?
    I'm currently planning for a Y4 lesson on statistics and have been looking at the 'Solve comparison, sum and difference problems using information presented in bar charts, pictograms, tables and other graphs'
    I'm a little confused as to what I need to do for that, I have the general idea that to compare they need to look at other data and say whether it is the same/different to theirs and how, for sum I assume they have to add some data values together and for difference take some away? I just don't feel like that's right so any advice would be great!!

2. conceptualmaths

conceptualmaths New commenter

Undertake one or more of three enquiries:

1. What vehicles are very likely to pass the school gate between 10:00 am and 11:00 am? Why? What vehicles would definitely not pass by? Why not? What vehicles would be possible but not very likely? Why? What if it were a different time of day? What if the weather were different?

2. Does practice improve estimation skills? Children estimate the lengths of five given lines and record the estimate, measured length and difference. They repeat the activity with five more lines to see whether their estimation skills have improved after feedback.

3. What would children in our class most like to change in the school? Children carry out a survey after preliminary research to whittle down the number of options to a sensible number, e.g. no more than five.

Children identify a hypothesis and decide what data to collect to investigate their hypothesis. They collect the data they need and decide on a suitable representation. In groups, they consider different possibilities for their representation and explain why they have made their choice.

In the first enquiry, children use tallies and bar charts. In the second, they use tables and bar charts to compare the two sets of measurements. In the third, they use a range of tables and charts to show their results, including Venn and Carroll diagrams. They use ICT where appropriate.

Hope this helps. Please checkout my new resources in my shop.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.nationalstemcentre.org.uk/elibrary/list/7369/years-3-4-data-and-statistics

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

It's about interrogating the data. Present children with some data in the forms outlined in the NC statement and then ask children questions about it: by doing this you are modelling the correct method of interrogating data. This will lead to discussions about external influences that could affect data. To deepen their understanding get them to generate their own questions, using the vocabulary: compare, sum, difference. Share the questions with the class, unpick any that are not self-explanatory or misleading.

One of the most useful things I do is to present children with some data that has no title (ie a graph to show...) and ask them to think about and generate an explanatory title for it. It encourages lots of discussion and deepens their understanding about the usefulness of data.

5. MissRundle14

MissRundle14 New commenter

Thank you all very much! This is all very helpful!