1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused with supply agency- help please!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by mere57, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Hi,
    After frantically searching for a job, I signed up to a supply agency before the summer. I emailed the person I signed up with recently just asking them to keep me in mind for September.
    I received a text yesterday saying 'please call agency for work on 23rd September' happily I called them only to be told that it had been 'sold' [​IMG]
    Is this how it works?! Confused!
    Many thanks x

2. Hi,
    After frantically searching for a job, I signed up to a supply agency before the summer. I emailed the person I signed up with recently just asking them to keep me in mind for September.
    I received a text yesterday saying 'please call agency for work on 23rd September' happily I called them only to be told that it had been 'sold' [​IMG]
    Is this how it works?! Confused!
    Many thanks x

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You probably weren't the only one who received the text - you have to be quick on the draw when texts like that come through.

4. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

Magic surf bus is right. Also, if the agency rings first thing in the morning, you have to make sure you're not in the shower or doing your morning constitutional either because if you don't answer it, they call the next person!

5. Depends what the booking is - I find if it's one of my regular schools just sorting out their batch of bookings for the next couple of months that it'll get held open much longer for me to call back, than if it's a "we need someone at St Anywhere's tomorrow morning and the secretary needs a name in the next 20 minutes."
    Welcome to the world of taking your mobile to the loo.

6. Do you mean the day's work was sold? I have been through two agencies...one collapsed and the other actually sold to another agency. I am still not working! Help!

7. No
    No, the day's work went to the first supply teacher to respond to the agency's call, or the one who'll get there in the least time. Imagine a pond full of starving ducks. Someone throws a piece of bread into the pond, all the ducks come rushing over, but only one duck gets the bread.....[​IMG]

8. Don't worry. Supply work is slow to come at the beginning of the year (teachers are still fit and healthy and there are less courses run then). More experienced supply teachers might be booked up but most of us won't get much for a while -then we'll be in demand though!

9. Where do you work/live? Have you been reading these forums? MANY teachers are struggling to get even a few days work from term to term. Only in some areas are supply teachers "in demand".
    Luckily I was almost fully employed last year but I doubt I'll be as lucky this year.