1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused............ PVG....?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Julski, May 31, 2011.

1. Good evening!
    I am trying to apply for a job but it asks if I am a member of the PVG scheme..... and I haven't a clue! I am a fully qualified, registered supply teacher and have the appropriate CRB checks in place.......... is this just the new name for the CRB?

Many thanks,

Julie

2. PVG replaces Disclosure and applies in Scotland. It is continually updated once you're in the scheme, so should be quicker at times of job changes, and seems like a more efficient system. Cameron dumped PVG for England, though there's a new CRB form for England.
    The initial fee for PVG is payable by the applicant, but most employers allow you to pat it back in instalments after employment.

3. I only know what I know from the website, too. As I read it, you CAN get one for yourself. And there's a clause somewhere to stop the loophole of getting on the scheme for free, and then working for a non-voluntary-sector organisation.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

A local authority has written to all their supply teachers and proudly announced that their supply list is now open. Woo Hoo!!!! For the pleasure of staying on the register you have to re-apply (for your place on the register) because of the PVG. They don't tell you whether you will pay the lesser amount (£18), or the greater amount (£59).
    So more form filling, more paperwork, more outlay . . . . . . .just to have the chance of earning half of what you currently earn come August. Rip off merchants. Not only do we pay the GTCS, now we have to pay to be on a supply register.
    Raging!

5. Just a quick correction to what I posted earlier: I've noticed, while browsing Myjobscotland, a couple of authorities who say that the employer will bear the cost of the PVG scheme. Hope it's a) a precedent, and b) not a typo...

6. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

I think this appears to be the relevant section on the SG website:
    "A PVG Scheme Membership Statement will be available to people in anticipation of taking up regulated work, either on a unilateral basis, on a self-employed basis or if an individual is working for a personal employer who wishes to confirm that the individual is a PVG Scheme member."
    It also goes on to say:
    "The PVG Act legislates that the correct fee is paid by somebody but it does not legislate who should pay. It will be for each organisation to decide who should pay. In most instances, under current arrangements, employers pay for the cost of disclosures."

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Not all are doing this though. Some LA's are making the teacher pay for it . . . . just for the pleasure of being on the Supply Register. [​IMG]

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

After having spent much time recently applying for jobs it seems the situation with PVG varies from council to council. One council I have come across appears to contribute to the cost on a £41 them, £18 you basis . . . . if you are successful at interview and not already a member of the PVG scheme. Other councils are just expecting you to pay the full whack to register, whether it's for a job of just the supply list.
    So yet again, it's chaos and imo a bit of a money making scam for some.