1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused over

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Snook1619, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hey, I really hope there is someone out there who can respond to my thread and shine some light on what really is a good salary package for a primary school teacher in Dubai!
    Last week I was fortunate to be offered a job at a primary school in Dubai. The package included a salary of 9,500 dirhams, studio flat, medical insurance and a return flight to the UK. Upon reading thread after thread, some dating as far back as 2007, 9,000 dirhams was considered low. I therefore turned the job down!
    Today I had another job interview with a different school. The headmaster informed me that with my experience of 2 years that if they were to offer me a job they would offer me a salary of 9,300 dirhams, plus the same benefits as above. He also advised me not to compare this monthly salary to my UK salary because of the extra benefits the Dubai schools have to offer in comparison!!!
    I haven't come across a recent thread that indicates what teachers should expect, only that 9,000 dirhams is way too low!! Ahhhhhhh - im so confused as to what is a good salary package in Dubai. Especially after hearing from the mouth of a headmaster that it's the going salary and after casting my eyes over his official looking spreadsheet with different pay scales!!!

2. Hey, I really hope there is someone out there who can respond to my thread and shine some light on what really is a good salary package for a primary school teacher in Dubai!
    Last week I was fortunate to be offered a job at a primary school in Dubai. The package included a salary of 9,500 dirhams, studio flat, medical insurance and a return flight to the UK. Upon reading thread after thread, some dating as far back as 2007, 9,000 dirhams was considered low. I therefore turned the job down!
    Today I had another job interview with a different school. The headmaster informed me that with my experience of 2 years that if they were to offer me a job they would offer me a salary of 9,300 dirhams, plus the same benefits as above. He also advised me not to compare this monthly salary to my UK salary because of the extra benefits the Dubai schools have to offer in comparison!!!
    I haven't come across a recent thread that indicates what teachers should expect, only that 9,000 dirhams is way too low!! Ahhhhhhh - im so confused as to what is a good salary package in Dubai. Especially after hearing from the mouth of a headmaster that it's the going salary and after casting my eyes over his official looking spreadsheet with different pay scales!!!

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

9,500 is a low salary. However you have little experience which may be why your salary is low.
    More important is which school it is. Some schools aren't worth working in for all the tea in china.
    If you PM me more details of the job (where, what position you are taking, where your accomodation is etc). I can give you a fairly accurate assessment of whether you should take it.
    If yoou could also send me the salary range (lower to upper) that would also help.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Being unemployed is even less financially rewarding, stopwatch.
    It seems to me that the principals of quite a few schools in the Middle East are aware that it is getting increasingly difficult to get a job in the UK and therefore this may explain why the OP was offered a fairly low salary. Yes, better salaries are paid at some of the more prestigious schools, but teachers with little experience do not have much chance of being given a post at one of the better-paying schools.
    As for the comment about some schools in Dubai not being worth all the tea in China, I would say that this might also apply to quite a few schools in the UK!

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

As I'm allergic to tea I feel quite queasy at the thought of being paid in Lapsang Souchong. Pay me in DYC or Valdepeñas and cut out the middle man. Voy para mi abrigo. (I'll get my coat, Pharaoh).

6. Very considerate of you, M.
    The translation, of course....
    Hippo, schools in the UK are weak or whatever, because of all manner of things to do with society and education. The sh7t schools in Dubai are because of unscrupulous money making bastardos (bastards - M..) who care little about what education, don't you think?

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I am aware of both of these things, and presumed that the OP is also.
    I think that working at some where like the Reptile school in Dxb, would be better than working in a 'Grange Hill' in UK, and of course the pay would probably be similar.
    Presuming that the OP has already looked at the idea of waiting for a better offer or school to turn up, I based my comments on this.

9. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Ignoring some of the above comments, £1,600 tax free (coversion courtesy of Yahoo currency convertor) is a decent salary for a teacher with your limited experience. It equates to about £25,000 gross in the UK. Presuming accommodation and flights are on top, turn down this one at your peril. Your hesitation has already cost you £30 a month!
    Salaries in the higher ranked schools will of course be better, but they are unlikely to hire someone as green as you.
    Any package in any country comes down to if you can afford it or not. If this pays your needs (student loans / mortgage / etc) back in the UK and leaves enough to enjoy yourself then there is no reason to turn it down.

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Comparisons between salaries in the ME and what you would get paid back in the UK are a bit misleading, of course. A teaching friend of mine in Suffolk has to pay nearly 200 quid a month on running a car. Then let us not forget Council Tax. On the other side of the coin, your salary in the ME will not include any pension contributions.