1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused over daughter's results

Discussion in 'Science' started by confusedparent, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Hi
    Was just wondering if someone could help explain my daughter's GCSE science results?
    She was awarded grade B for core science and A* for biology. There is no mention of either physics or chemistry results. Is additional science not compulsory or are they allowed to chose which of the sciences they can study for additional science?
    Sorry for asking such a basic question

2. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Confuses me, too. Normally a 'core science' grade would be accompanied by one for 'additional' - which incorporates all three sciences. Students <u>either </u>study core and additional <u>or</u> separate sciences - in which case physics and chemistry would also be reported separately. Having an A* for biology (congratulations to your daughter btw) suggests the latter.
    Hmm. Odd.

3. One of the options open to school is to take core science with a specific science. The only obligation schools have is to deliver the core specification so this is an option some schools took. The results are as it says - core science one grade and Biology a second grade.

Hope that makes sense

4. Schools legally only have to deliver core science...

The most common option is then to deliver additional science...

Or... They can deliver any or all of the three separate sciences, Chemistry / Physics / Biology

Unless your daughter wants to do Biology at A2, it may well prove difficult.

Maddy [​IMG]

5. It's also possible she may have got an a* in a biology module of Science. Final grades normally appear from a school's MIS as capital letters, contributing units as lower case.
    Surely your daughter knows what she was studying?

6. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Ah. Now my school won't/ can't do that - so I had assumed it was an examining board restriction. It seems not.

7. Schools generally don't do this as they do not count in the 'Science indicator: (Percentage of pupils achieving at least
    two GCSEs at grades A*-C and equivalent.)

8. You can do, say, Science and then Biology, but you have to take the Biology exams that would also form part of Science twice, once for Science GCSE and once for Biology GCSE which seems a bit repetitive. (but you can re-use the IAAs with Edexcel at least).
    I'm surprised you can't count them in the indicator - is it due to the overlap between them? I know that if you take an early AS in a Science then even though it counts as being of the size of 2 GCSEs for total GCSE volume taken, you can only count it as one for the 2 Sciences measure as they have to be different sciences.

9. Unless the rules have drastically changed they DO count...

We have students this year with 5 science GCSE's
    • Core
    • Additional
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Physics
    Admittedly they had to take some exams twice, once in yr 10 & once in yr 11 - as well as some additional internal assessments... but they get 5 science GCSE's.... This is something that schools have been using to artificially "Up" the % attaining 5 A*-C, if you have 100 students who between them have 100 A*-C then 100%, doesn't matter if they come from 80 x 2 + 8 x 5... It is simply the numbers.

Students can only take core + a named science and count in the 2 A*-C...

10. Not according to this (from the DfeS):
    • Percentage of pupils achieving at
      least two GCSEs at grades A*-C and equivalent.

To be counted in the indicator the pupil must have achieved grades
      A*-C in:

• GCSE Science ('core') and GCSE Additional Science; or
      • GCSE Science ('core') and GCSE Additional Applied Science; or
      • GCSE Applied Science Double Award; or
      • GCSE Science and GCSE Environmental and Land-based Science;
        or
      • Level 2 BTEC First Certificates and First Diplomas in Applied
        Science at pass, merit and distinction; or
      • OCR Level 2 National Awards and National Certificates in
        Science at pass, merit and distinction.
      • Intermediate Science GNVQ; or
      • Pupils will have to have taken GCSEs in all three of Physics,
        Chemistry and Biology, but to be counted need only have attained grades
        A*-C in at least two of the disciplines.
      • Pupils who have taken GCSEs and/or GCE AS levels early in all
        three of Physics, Chemistry and Biology will also be counted, but need
        only have attained GCSE grades A*-C and/or GCE AS grades A-E in at least
        two of the disciplines.
      • Until they are phased out, GCSEs covering the old Key Stage 4
        programme of study (Double Science, Physics, Chemistry and Biology,
        Applied Science Double Award) will count.

Only these combinations will count in the indicators - other
      combinations can be taken but will not count.

11. There we go that last one... If not someone had better tell my HOD as he swears blind it does!

Maddy [​IMG]

12. Found nemo is right. Core + Biology doesn't count in the indicator as two due to the level of overlap. If a student took Biology, Chemistry and Physics separates, and then core and additional, they are effectively getting two extra gcse's for no extra work as the additional science subject content is identical to the second modules in the separate science gcse's. I recently attended an AQA new spec session where this was reiterated. Sorry.

13. That is a fun conversation I will be having to have with my HOD as they are where I got the info from!!! [​IMG] Not looking forward to that one!

maddy [​IMG]

14. scilab

scilab New commenter

Maddy,
    What is the advantage in entering the students for 5 GCSEs? Do they have to sit all the exams for core, additional, and separate sciences? We do either triple, or core then additional, or core then additional applied. But the triple students only get their 3 GCSEs, and I can't quite see what advantage it would give them to have 5. Other than adding to their total haul of GCSEs, but if 5 are in sciences, I can't see the benefit really.
    I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind this. Thanks [​IMG]

15. I'm rather cynical about this, the answer is 'Stamp collecting'.

16. You can actually get 6 if you really want to push it...Science A + B with AQA. However, there is no student centred purpose as they gain nothing. Even colleges wont count most of them! However, it makes the numbers look good!

17. Your final exampleof how schools 'up' their numbers doesn't really make sense. That must be a measure used only in your school as it wouldn't be taken seriously by external agencies.

18. it is all about the average gcse score

19. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

It is definitely the case that 'Core + Biology (or Chemistry or Physics)' does NOT count to the performance measure of 2 Science GCSEs.
    Taking more subjects won't in itself increase an individual childs Average Point Score. And the measures for cohort APS are capped at the best 8 subjects anyway. I suppose thatgetting 5 Science GCSEs could improve this measure, but only for kids who did ridiculously poorly in other subjects compared to Science.
    Mark