1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused ... level 1, level 2, level 3 qualifications...

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by whodbeateacher, Sep 16, 2011.

1. I should also add that the Level 1 job she's seen is secondary, not primary, which may make a difference?

2. The new QCF is basically re branding of the old NVQ2 and 3. I don't think there is a (an?) NVQ 1 so they're probably willing to accept people with no relevant quals, but in this climate people with higher qualifications may well apply.
    The Unison website is a good starting point for generic job descriptions at each level.
    Whether schools want qualified and /or experienced TAs probably varies quite a lot by area and phase. In my area ATM there are so many people after TA jobs that unqualified people don't get a look-in.
    We've had quite a few volunteers in the past who are studying for NVQs and need contact time with learners to complete the course. Is this a possible way in for your friend?

3. Thank you, that's very useful and helpful.
    I will try and advise. I agree that becoming a volunteer can be the way forward - most of our TAs began that way, certainly in the recent past.