1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused - letter of application and personal statement

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Anonymous, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Yes, I know this has been asked before but I'm still confused.
    Every application form I fill in has the section - Why are you applying for this post? So obviously you fill this in selling yourself to the school.
    I take it you do not need a letter of application as this would contain the same information as in the "Why are you applying" section. However I also believe you would need a covering letter - what would this be? Just a letter explaining you are applying for the post or would it need more detail? And of course, I now know about the executive summary.
    Second - if a school mentions a letter of application, what do you do with the section "Why are you applying for this post?" - do you state please see letter of application? Surely you don't want to duplicate this section?

2. I've put 'Please see attached personal statement' in an application before, but that was only because the box for how I would meet the specification was tiny! There was literally only room to write one line. Otherwise, I agree with Theo, if the space is there, they do expect you to use it. They want to be able to read all of your information easily, not have to muddle through loose papers.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I would have used that tiny box (usually called additional information in support of your application) just to add some minor thing - that you were hoping to be able to contribute to clubs, or that you had a First Aid Certificate, could play for Assembly, etc.

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. Hi Theo,

Have managed to get myself into a bit of a panic about this as well! (I'm prone to panics!) The form (which is the same for all the schools) says in box entitled supporting statement:

"In support of your application, you are recommended to attach a statement giving your reasons for apply for this post."

I have been sending this as a complete separate document as the box only expands to about 4 lines. What do you think?

Thanks, RLH