1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused... just how do I really cost a school?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by slingshotsally, Jun 19, 2015.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi All,

I am quite annoyed. Today I had the same conversation with 3 different agency consultants. All of them revolving around my worth.

For Long term full time posts in tough schools they wanted to pay me £130 per day. Inner London. I pointed out that after 12 weeks AWR would kick in and I would expect to be paid to scale. I also said there was no point in me taking on a school at all if I thought there was any chance of the post disappearing in the 11th week (as a way to avoid AWR).

I did point out to them, in order for me to take a full time long term role and to ensure complete transparency they may just as well pay me to scale from the start.

Of course then they asked me about my previous pay. Apparently it all depended on how much the HT was willing to pay for my services. I was UPS so now I shouldn't expect anywhere close to even M6.

Again I pointed out to the agent- this was about negotiation. The school won't pay sick pay, holiday pay or Pension contributions. Even at M6 (paid to the top of MPS) I would be a bargain.

My reasoning-

Wage (M6) + employers contributions = Way Way more than M6.

If the agent couldn't get M6, then I might as well apply direct. That way, even if I was paid less on the Main scale, I would gain more via pensions.

Just what is difficult about this? There is absolutely no point accepting a full time long term position through agencies if it is not paid to scale. £130 per day just doesn't cut it.

Am I being unreasonable? I thought I made several valid points. Why did they react as though I was insulting them?

SAL

2. Good to see there's another supply teacher out there who stands up to agencies and doesn't just accept any old wage. Remember they need us!

3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I only wish that were true! As the consultant from Pr*t*c*ol candidly pointed out to me, "I could only sell you to schools if they thought you had any worth to them. Sorry, but frankly, you don't." I was fuming at the time but what he said turned out to be true.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I don't like the terminology of "buying and selling" which is used by consultants in recruitment agencies.

You do have worth Jolly_Roger1, but I do know what the consultant was trying to say.

For the OP, you are right in that £130 per day for tough schools in London on a long term contract is not enough to reflect the amount of work you will have to do in terms of marking, planning and meetings and the agents should know that. Fix your price and stick with it - either they pay it or you can do day to day supply at £130.00 per day.

5. tcoll123

tcoll123 New commenter

No, you are being totally reasonable. £130/day is not enough (and is even worse if you are paid through an umbrella company). I am in a similar school, am an NQT, and negotiated a rate over £20/day more than that. I was getting paid £130/day for day to day supply.

Name your price and stick to it.

6. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I was asked week before last to teach in Inner London. At first I said No. When they got back to me I looked up commuting time and cost. Then I looked up appropriate point on scale, divided by £195 and added £10 to the daily rate. I said I would do it for that price. To my surprise agency thought it wouldn't be a problem.. I notice I haven't heard since, however. I don't think it's worth getting into arguments. Fix your price in your mind. If you can't get it, consider a new career. That's what I'm planning to do next year if supply doesn't pick up.

7. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

I have been asked by a local independent school to email them my CV as their usual supply person is moving overseas and they heard about me through a parent there who is a friend of mine. I am unsure what to ask for as I will not be going through an agency and do not want to undercharge. Not sure if they will pay PAYE (which is what I get form the agencies) or if I will have to invoice them. I have no 'scale' as I qualified last year and have been doing supply since then. if I invoice them, presume have to factor in for additional NI.

Any advice gratefully rec'd...

8. If you follow this link pg 8 of the document gives you the daily and annual rate for this year depending on your point on the scale, and whereabouts you teach. You would start on m1 unless you can negotiate a higher starting point for relevant previous experience. you could check the school site to see if they have their own pay scale as some independent schools do. National Insurance and tax would be deducted from this figure. I hope this is helpful

9. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

Thanks! Would be a great gig to get as no travel costs.

10. slingshotsally

Sorry, where is the link, Jackofalltradesdotme?

SAL

11. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

That link has a great article (plus a link to a longer one) on the dubious practices of Umbrella Companies and why they should be avoided. A good read for anyone who has been forced into joining one.

12. slingshotsally

Thank you Jackofalltradesdotme,

The link was very useful.

SAL