1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused by contract, would be grateful for some advice

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by zacky, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I've just received a contract and everything looks great but under the salary part it's broken down into basic salary and then allowances such as flights, accommodation and qualifications. Is this normal? It's my first time abroad so am new to this. I know the school has a great reputation so I'm sure it's fine but I don't understand why it's been broken down like this and the basic salary is quite low. Does it mean they are not obliged to pay the allowances each month? Can they stop them anytime and just pay the basic salary? I would like to contact them before signing but would really appreciate some advice from anyone who's had experience of this type of contract. Thanks

2. It may be that they only pay the final gratuity on the basic salary, so it is split so they end up paying a lesser amount on departure.

3. You need to ask.
    If the school is reputable they won't mind. If they do mind then the contract is probably not worth the paper its written on.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

My guess is tafwakwe is right on the money. Ask.
    At least they're up front about it. I've known a school to have just the one figure on the contract, total salary, but when final indemnity time came, the school would base it on a 'base salary' figure that was the same for every employee in the school, around half of a typical total salary, and a figure that no one ever heard of before their last days.
    But to answer your other question, no, the school couldn't stop the allowances. If they're in the contract, they have to be paid. It should only impact your final bonus.

5. I agree that you should ask if you want to ease your mind, but I wouldn't worry about it. My contract is the same as yours: basic salary with various allowances on top. I think it may be something to do with my taxes although I never really looked into it.

6. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

My contract last year was very similar yet the one I have for my current employer is not broken down. I'm really not sure why some schools do and some don't. I received the full salary each month last year and as haddok has already said, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Where are you off to?