1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused by application process for independent school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by irishmurdoch, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I'm applying for a position at an independent school, and they have asked for a completed application form as well as a covering letter. The form includes a section called 'Statement' where they ask applicants to say why they are applying for the post and what attributes they can contribute. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can avoid overlap with my covering letter, which is where I usually introduce myself and the reason i am applying for the post? I was thinking that in the letter I would stick to general teaching philosophy/approach to my subject plus personal qualities that relate to the ethos of the school, and then put more specific examples of professional skills in the statement, e.g. organisation, IT, teamwork etc.

Would be grateful for any comments from those who deal with recruitment on a regular basis - is it a mistake to put important stuff in the letter if these might be set aside before the sifting of application forms starts? Or if I duplicate information in the letter and the form will it annoy the shortlisting team? Help!

2. I'm applying for a position at an independent school, and they have asked for a completed application form as well as a covering letter. The form includes a section called 'Statement' where they ask applicants to say why they are applying for the post and what attributes they can contribute. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can avoid overlap with my covering letter, which is where I usually introduce myself and the reason i am applying for the post? I was thinking that in the letter I would stick to general teaching philosophy/approach to my subject plus personal qualities that relate to the ethos of the school, and then put more specific examples of professional skills in the statement, e.g. organisation, IT, teamwork etc.

Would be grateful for any comments from those who deal with recruitment on a regular basis - is it a mistake to put important stuff in the letter if these might be set aside before the sifting of application forms starts? Or if I duplicate information in the letter and the form will it annoy the shortlisting team? Help!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't duplicate material. And don't worry that the letter will be set aside.
    The obvious thing is to put your Executive summary, neatly done in table format, on the application form. Then have your letter, addressing their job and person spec, not just a general philosophy, as a separate document.
    And if you have no idea what I am talking about . . . then read this:
    Thinking of going for a new post. Should the app form be submitted in blocks?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

4. Thanks for your reply - it all makes a lot of sense. The main difficulty I'm having is that the school haven't given a person specification, just a really brief general advertisement. Otherwise it would be quite simple to match my skills/experience to what they're looking for, in the way that you suggest.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Then look for an ad for a similar type of job, and head up your E.S. this way:
    An effective KS2 teacher .......... My skills and experience.
    Or whatever type of post it is: An effective Maths teacher, etc.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February (Although I believe that this is now full)
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com