1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused between Further Education Teaching and Secondary

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by qmaq26, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Hello everyone this is my first post so naturally I will have lots to ask you guys. So here goes. I graduated with a degree in Sports studies in 2007. On finishing my degree I was successful in obtaining my first job as a sports development officer. I worked with young people and adults in the community to set up provisions in physical activity and sports. I also worked in local authority and the health service setting up health and wellbeing projects for communities. My experience in all this has led me in to my current post as a community health researcher and Health Education Tutor teaching adults. The organisation I work for is th Workers Education Association (WEA) a national organisation working with adult learners. First of all I was interested in doing the post compulsory education in further education teaching sports. But after reading and researching FE on this site I have my doubts. FE is not what I thought it would be in terms of the job prospects. I was wondering if their are any FE lecturers who can give me an insight in to FE and how stable it is and if it's a good idea to go in too? I was so committed to teaching in FE that I also completed the PTTLS course but now I think this was a pointless task. I have also thought about the PGCE secondary teaching in PE. However this seems very competive and obtaining a job at the end of it seems very bleak. Although I have experience working in schools coaching sports and worked as a youth worker for a year and a half but I do not have any experience teaching in school. Will this be a disadvantage to me or with the experience I have working with young people in a non education setting help my chances? Failing that the other option I have at my disposal is teaching a shortage subject such as RE. I have a postgraduate certificate in Religious Studies so this entitles me to progress on to a PGCE in RE without having a degree in RE. Can someone please tell me if RE is still a shortage subject and in demand? What are the job prospects like after completing a PGCE? And also if
    I took the RE route can I still teach PE as a second subject or even apply for PE teaching posts in secondary and further education. I really passionate about both subjects as I feel I have a good understanding of both subjects. I would really appreciate getting some expert advice and putting me in the right direction. Thanks.

2. Hello everyone this is my first post so naturally I will have lots to ask you guys. So here goes. I graduated with a degree in Sports studies in 2007. On finishing my degree I was successful in obtaining my first job as a sports development officer. I worked with young people and adults in the community to set up provisions in physical activity and sports. I also worked in local authority and the health service setting up health and wellbeing projects for communities. My experience in all this has led me in to my current post as a community health researcher and Health Education Tutor teaching adults. The organisation I work for is th Workers Education Association (WEA) a national organisation working with adult learners. First of all I was interested in doing the post compulsory education in further education teaching sports. But after reading and researching FE on this site I have my doubts. FE is not what I thought it would be in terms of the job prospects. I was wondering if their are any FE lecturers who can give me an insight in to FE and how stable it is and if it's a good idea to go in too? I was so committed to teaching in FE that I also completed the PTTLS course but now I think this was a pointless task. I have also thought about the PGCE secondary teaching in PE. However this seems very competive and obtaining a job at the end of it seems very bleak. Although I have experience working in schools coaching sports and worked as a youth worker for a year and a half but I do not have any experience teaching in school. Will this be a disadvantage to me or with the experience I have working with young people in a non education setting help my chances? Failing that the other option I have at my disposal is teaching a shortage subject such as RE. I have a postgraduate certificate in Religious Studies so this entitles me to progress on to a PGCE in RE without having a degree in RE. Can someone please tell me if RE is still a shortage subject and in demand? What are the job prospects like after completing a PGCE? And also if
    I took the RE route can I still teach PE as a second subject or even apply for PE teaching posts in secondary and further education. I really passionate about both subjects as I feel I have a good understanding of both subjects. I would really appreciate getting some expert advice and putting me in the right direction. Thanks.

3. Hi,
    I'm unable to offer any comprehensive advice regarding FE, however you should visit the Department for Education's website content surrounding further education here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/index.htm
    I may be able to answer some of your questions relating to secondary school teaching. First of all, there is certainly a lot of competition for PE teaching positions as it is a popular subject, however if you are prepared to be flexible about the location, and are willing to persevere with your applications, I am sure you would be able to obtain a position in the future.
    When applying for any initial teacher training (ITT) course it is important to have gained some recent experience observing or assisting in a classroom environment - preferably in the subject you are interested in teaching. The experience you have gained in other areas, such as your current occupation as a Health Education tutor, will definitely prove to be beneficial when you apply for courses, however you should definitely look to get at least two or three days' worth of classroom observation before applying.
    Best wishes
    Stephen Hillier, TDA

4. lisavicky

lisavicky New commenter

I'm an ex FE tutor now re-training as primary. If you do the FE PGCE as I did you will not be able to teach in schools because it doesn't have QTS but if you train as secondary you can teach in FE (after NQT year).
    I left FE becasue of short term contracts, late decisions on working hours, lack of training and support and no pastoral time given. Many jobs are hourly paid and after you take planning and assessment into account it worked out about £7 per hour payment. I briefly returned last year and left again, nothing had changed. As an ex chair of governors for secondary I would say your experience sounds good but students are now being asked for sustained voluntary work in schools so get that in if you can before you apply. Teachers in our school started off in one discipline and then often taught in another but it is dependent on the school and I wouldn't advise training in one area and applying for another. Good RE teachers will always be in short supply but ours were also linked to thinking skills, social studies and philosophy teaching too. Hope some of this helps.