1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CONFUSED AND STRESSED

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hans321, Sep 7, 2019.

1. hans321

hans321 New commenter

Hi
    I am very confused about my current situation and would like some advice please.
    I am currently an NQT who started in JAN19 in nursery. I have been trained in early years during my 3 year degree.
    This year the head has decided to put me in year 2. I haven't had any training in ks1 and as it is SATS year i just feel very stressed already.
    The first week back was very hard for me and i realised the children are very low. Its completely different to early years and i just feel out of my comfort zone as i have had no training on this.
    I want to quit teaching altogether and give my resignation in.
    However I have also considered maybe applying at another school in early years.
    I have also had some people telling me to maybe apply abroad in the UAE to teach early years?
    Currently I just feel really stressed and anxious about going into work because I have no idea what to do and I just feel like giving up. I know i can only resign before Christmas and that seems so long away!
    Please can I have some advice?

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Don't panic! The Head must have confidence in you, and you've been trained in Early Years.
    Nobody will be expecting miracles, so don't put pressure on yourself. Learn as you go along, ask advice from your TA, other teachers who have taught KS1 and study the SoWs. Take it week by week, term by term.
    It's a learning curve. We've all been there. You'll feel so proud when you've completed the year.

It won't be any different in another school and there's no need to run off to another country.

Have a great weekend! Get some exercise, see friends.

Go in on Monday ready for a challenge. And keep ASKING for advice.

Best wishes.

3. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

hans321 likes this.
  4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's very shabby of the head to disrupt your Induction year in this way. Did they provide any training for you last term to prepare for the transition during your crucial last Induction term? Did you get to shadow the previous year 2 class?

You now have just one term to meet all the Induction standards in a new Key Stage. No allowances are made for not being trained in that Key Stage.
    If you are in a Union, speak to them. If it's an L.A. School, speak to their Induction leader at HQ.
    You will probably need to see your GP if your stress and anxiety continues.
    Your final Induction term cannot be adjudicated if you leave by the end of the term with more than 30 days absent from your Induction year.
    Make it clear at school that you require support in managing the new work demands and that you expected to be completing Induction in Early years. If they are not supportive, see your doctor and get signed off.
    How much notice did you have of the change? Did they leave it too late to allow you to apply for Early years posts for Sept?
    My sister moved to Early Years in a Family Centre setting to avoid ever being moved to older classes in a school setting.
    Good luck.

Dunteachin, cissy3 and Pageant like this.
  5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I'm sorry you feel so bad, especially so early in the new term, when (in theory) you have had a relaxing break.
    Your Head has the right to place you where s/he feels you will be needed - unless your contract says anything different, and I assume this is not the case.
    The lack of training in KS1 is certainly a concern for you, but you need to ask for support. I hope you have an experienced TA or even two in the class with you. Use their experience to support you.
    The first week back is bewildering anyway, as you settle back in to work, but you are clearly feeling as if you are floundering. Give it time - your Head must trust you, and that's a positive thought.
    Don't give up a few days in. I am sure you can do this. Use some of the resources and plans you find on line - you don't need to reinvent the wheel this term. Being out of your comfort zone is not necessarily a bad thing - if you stcik at it, you'll get there and it'll help your CV for other posts, if you decide to move on.
    Try not to let it overwhelm you! And remember, this might happen in any school, so changing now wouldn't necessarily help.
    Take care

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I suspect that you were moved because it's easier to recruit an Early Years teacher than a Yr2 one!

hans321 likes this.
  7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

It is completely normal to be expected to do things you have no idea how to do.

catbefriender and mothorchid like this.
  8. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I am in a new year group too. You just have to ask if there is anything you aren't sure of. I have asked so many questions this week. My Head said I would be fully supported and so I am jolly well going to take them up on that! Have a search of your Local Authority courses. Where I am there is a "New to Year 2" course. It costs about a hundred quid and it is a day out of school but you could see if there is something similar where you are. It covers assessment, SATS, moderation, etc. It is unreasonable of them not to give you the tools to do your job properly. Also look on Twin kl, they have a Top Tips For Teaching Year 2 sheet which is quite useful. Keep asking for help, and look at the Primary forum on here. I have found it invaluable. Good luck!

9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Yes it is. But that doesn't make it right. Especially during your first year imo

Edit: Good luck OP

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The dilemma for the OP is that they started in Jan 2019 in Early years and now have two (presumably) 'making satisfactory progress' towrds the Induction standards under their belt. They are now in anew Key Stae and have zero experience in it. Nevertheless they have just one term to demonstrate meeting all the standards in order to pass Indction at the end of December.

Had they started in Sept 2018 and completed Induction in Early Years at the end of the academic year, I'd have been suggesting sticking things out as there would be security, and less stress, in having completed Induction. A move back to Early years later would be possible if they didn't settle in the older age range. But if passing Induction is at risk, the OP would not have the option of continuing in the State Compulsory Sector ever again if they failed Induction.
    If the OP is told that they are failing to meet the standards (say by half-term) they should contact the Union and look into getting a negotiated early release from their contract.

hans321 likes this.
  11. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I didn't say it was right. I just said it is normal

hans321, grumpydogwoman and cissy3 like this.
  12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

The trouble is, when things like this become 'normal', it's not long before they are seen as acceptable, and then 'correct'.

I've seen teachers' conditions of employment whittled away over the years/decades in just this way.

I no longer read WDilemmas these days because some of the advice amounts to: 'Well I had to do it this way, so you must too!'

I'm not having a go at you Corvuscorax. I'm just having a mini-rant.

catbefriender likes this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If your heart really is in EY then go for it.

But it's much better to be adaptable. And no two cohorts are the same anyway. Every year is a learning curve. Access TES free resources, acquaint yourself with the objectives. You're perfectly capable of teaching at this level. You're a graduate!

You can do it. You can still have lots of fun with YR2. It'll take a bit of mad scrabbling to get on top of it but you only to be one step ahead and they're only YR2.

1 person likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

There are some good schools in the UAE (a very few) and there are some monumentally bad ones advertising themselves as good schools (a great many). Furthermore, there are some emirates where expatriate life is good and some where you will feel as if you are living in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse.

If this if the course of action you take, do some serious research first!

bombaysapphire and mothorchid like this.
  15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Yes, they're all little anklebiters at that stage.

Dragonlady30, susanrk, nomad and 2 others like this.
  16. hans321

hans321 New commenter

Thankyou for all the quick responses everyone, it means alot.

17. hans321

hans321 New commenter

Thankyou for your advice!

18. hans321

hans321 New commenter

Thanks! I will take that into consideration.

19. hans321

hans321 New commenter

Thankyou for your reply. I tried going to the year 2 class during my NQT time last year but it always got cancelled due to something coming up. I spent the holidays going through the National Curriculum to familiarise my self with the year 2 expectations. its still all very overwhelming and i just feel lost.
    They let us know where we would be next year far too late which is why i was unable to hand my notice in or apply elsewhere.