1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused about where I stand

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by effietrinket, Feb 5, 2016.

1. effietrinket

effietrinket New commenter

Hi,
    I'm an nqt and only just halfway through my second term now. I haven't been doing great and most of my observations (2) were inadequate. Tonight I had a meeting with my mentor and she informed me that if things do not rapidly and miraculously improve they will have to fail me. She spoke to me about knowing if this is what I really want to do... And looking at other options. I was under the impression that if by Easter (end of my 2nd term) that if my report was sent as May not reach the standards then that would be my last opportunity to quit and then I would work my half a terms notice. Then continue onto trying to complete my induction elsewhere.But am I wrong and now Halfway through my 2nd term would be my last chance to quit? Also just wondering if quitting is actually a possibility? Is it as simple as stating that's what I want to do because that seemed the case the way my mentor was speaking to me. Or are there certain procedures?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks :)

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I'm in a bit of a similar position. Did you fail term 1? If so, the council should have been brought in and set an action plan in place to help support you. If you feel that you are not being adequately supported, or need advice or further support, you should contact the council yourself. Ask to speak to the named person who deals with NQTs. I did this, they were friendly and helpful. They will be coming into my school to see me soon.

Do you understand exactly why you are failing? You don't have to answer that on here, or you can send me a private message if you want to chat. I just mean, be honest with yourself - is it something that you feel able to amend/improve? What would help you improve on it?

I have similar concerns about resigning - the deadline for handing in notice to leave in April is Feb 28th. My school didn't tell me I was failing term 1, and I wasn't informed until January, so I worry that I won't know until after Easter if I've passed or failed term 2, so it will be too late for me by then! But for you, if your mentor can tell you before 28th Feb whether or not they will be passing you for term 2, you can decide whether or not to resign and attempt to complete term 3 elsewhere at a later date.

3. effietrinket

effietrinket New commenter

Yes I failed term 1 this was due to my last observation for that term being inadequate and I got targets and an NQT action plan from that. Things were put in place but only really that I was sending my mentor my planning and that I now have the assistance of a HLTA. My end of term one report had no real negative and very simple targets so its tricky. A woman from the council did come in at the start of term 2 and observed me and that was also inadequate but she gave me 3 targets and I haven't heard from the council again.

Recently my school sent me on a behaviour management course and to observe some of the other teachers in school - this I felt was very late. I don't receive my NQT time weekly they tend to just take me out of class for a week and use all of it then.

My mentor informed me yesterday that the behaviour of the children has declined and at the point of no return (I was only told they thought this at the start of this week) So I've found it very hard to do anything about it. I feel that the behaviour has declined due to the fact that after Christmas we gained a very disruptive child and the children are taking the opportunity to misbehave whilst he takes up a lot of my attention. She also told me that one of my flaws is that they feel I'm not passionate enough and they get the vibe that I don't want this enough (I have social anxiety so its very hard for me to be anything but closed off around other adults most of the time).

Thank you for the confirmation of dates! I was getting worried about missing my last chance and I believe my mentor should be able to tell me before then. I thought that you complete both term 2 and 3 elsewhere as only term 1 counts if you leave in term 2? Sorry just a bit confused...

Thank you for your help and I hope you are able to find out how you are doing in time!! :)

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I'm going to send you a private message (or a 'conversation' as it's called on here) :)

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

First, you don't pass or fail individual terms, only at the end of the year is this judgement made. Until then you are deemed as not meeting the standards or similar.

Second, every complete term counts towards your NQT year, so if you left at the end of your second term you would have two terms under your belt and just one term to complete elsewhere.

Third, February 29th is this year's resignation date to leave April 30th. As Easter falls so early, if you gain another job that starts after Easter, therefore before the April 30th deadline, I suggest you check out this excellent blog - https://www.tes.com/news/blog/easter-resignations-different-term-dates-old-school-new-school

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If you reach the end of your induction year (three terms) without having reached the standards, you will fail the year and will never be allowed to teach in a state school again. Yes, it is that strict.

As you do not seem to be making good progress at your school, it would make sense to leave as soon as possible. You can do this in two ways:
    1) Hand in your resignation to leave at the end of your second term. It sounds likely that your NQT paperwork will be completed with another 'not on track to meet the standards' unless you make a "miraculous" improvement - and it doesn't sound like your mentor knows what support to put in place to facilitate this. You will then have one term left in which to get yourself up to the standard for successfully completing induction.
    2) Negotiate early release with your school. If your mentor really feels that the children's behaviour is "at the point of no return", then it would be in the children's best interests for the school to immediately seek another teacher for them. This is not a nice thing for you, but at the same time, means that your NQT paperwork for your second term will not be completed (as you did not finish the second term), and you will therefore have two terms left in which to get yourself up to the standard for successfully completing induction.

My advice would be to ask for a meeting with your head and start a conversation about early release. It might be worth contacting your union for support, if you decide to go down this route, as it is important to negotiate a fair reference alongside the early release.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  7. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

As Kartoshka says, it is very strict - if you haven't reached the standards by the end of three terms you cannot teach.

It is possible, if necessary, to have a term's extension, if there are circumstances that warrant it, although that is likely to be at the behest of the school and/or local authority. If it is possible, it is probably best to stay at the same school - too much change can badly affect your performance in the classroom - but if that isn't possible, resign as soon as possible so that you have as long as possible in your new post.

8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

My general advice to NQTs is not to go into a third term with 2 not meeting standards- to be precise you cannot fail an induction after only 1 or 2 terms and as Kartoska says it is a 3 term process.
    The school should put into place a clear plan to support you as soon as there were problems- if you fail to then make progress that is a clear sign that you need to exit. You ( or your Union) can negotiate a leaving date at half term- the advantage of this is that it means you would still have 1.5 terms of induction to complete. The other advantage is that you can get into supply work before the influx from this years' new teachers.

wanet and sabrinakat like this.