1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused about "pro rata"

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by BriarBabe22, Dec 27, 2015.

1. BriarBabe22

BriarBabe22 New commenter

I have seen several threads about what "pro rata" really means in terms of pay but am confused by a particular advert I have seen recently which stated FTE £20849, pro rata £16294. To work out 'actual' pay, would I need to then apply further part-time calculations to the £16k figure or has that already been done from the £20k FTE figure?

If it helps the role is for a cover supervisor working 37 hours per week, 35 weeks per year + holiday entitlement.

Many thanks!

2. splinters

splinters Established commenter

FTE means full time earnings and a percentage of that i.e. Pro rata would be the salary quoted circa £16k. What puzzles me is that 37 hours sounds like a full week but I presume (having never worked as a CS) they dont pay through holidays hence the reduced salary.
    Hope that helps a little.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Exactly

The approximately 4K pro rata reduction is for the fact that you don't get paid for the holidays.

4. karizmashah

karizmashah New commenter

It is a nice piece of information. More like for International Students is available at OPT Nation.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This article sets out the way that pro-rata pay is calculated

Should I become a TA?

Best wishes for 2016

6. BriarBabe22

Thank you TheoGriff, I had read that article which is actually where my confusion arose (no offence intended)! In your example, you have applied the pro rata calculations to the £15k salary to end up with a 'real' salary of nearly £10k. In the example I have given, do I still need to apply the pro rata calculations to the £16k thereby reducing it further, or has that already been done since a FTE salary has also been quoted in the job description? In other words, is the 'real' salary £16K ish or actual more like £12.5k?

Apologies if I'm not explaining myself very well but I don't understand why the job advert already has 2 figures stated ... not sure if I still have some maths to do on the lower figure!

7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

No they have done it for you!

BriarBabe22 likes this.
  8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's odd that the job is for 35 weeks per year. Is it a school in the private sector? State schools operate for 39 pupil weeks.
    TAs and CSs normally get paid for an additional 4 holiday weeks and are sometimes contracted to be at work for 2 weeks of the pupil holiday period (often in for the 5 INSET days but not usually involved in the INSET sessions).
    The post must involve more than just supervising lessons as that would be 25 hours per week in a State school.

9. BriarBabe22

@jubilee It is a state boarding school so longer hours during the week and some Saturday hours too. There is a 5 week holiday entitlement and all CPD days must be attended. I think that's where the 37 hours come from!

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

£20849 x 40 (wks) divided by 52 (wks) = £16037-92
    I can't get the exact pro-rata that you've been given but the slightly higher figure you have for pro-rata will be the gross pay.
    The likelihood is that the £16294 will be divided into 12 equal monthly payment of £1357-83p each so that there will be no periods of the year with less or no pay (the 12 unpaid holiday weeks).

If you leave after any school year, put 31st August as your resignation date.

If you leave before the end of any school year, make sure that they adjust the last pay for the weeks that you actually worked and the pro-rata holiday entitlement for those weeks.