1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused about pay

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Oliviaa91, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Oliviaa91

Oliviaa91 New commenter

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I'm so confused about pay!
    I've finally got a job in school as a teaching assistant in a secondary (hooray!) But the information I've been given is a little... Bare.
    It says it's term time and permanent but I don't understand if I get my pay spread out over the year or get paid in term time only?
    If it's the latter, what do people do over summer with no pay? Or have I completely misunderstood?

Tia!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Congratulations!

TA jobs usually pay term time only but they spread it out over the year, ie whatever the total pay is for term time only is paid monthly in 12 equal instalments. But you need to check with whoever has sent you the offer letter to see exactly what they do at your school.

51cfys and strawbs like this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is likely to be spread out as @Rott Weiler says, but it doesn't really make any difference - it is still the same amount of money however it is paid. Anybody whose income is seasonal in some way has to do the same thing - either find other work for the gaps or save for them. Tutors tend to be in the same position - indeed, those tutoring for public exams find that work dries up in June.

4. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

It tends to be confusing as these jobs are often advertised at the 52 week equivalent amount (say £18,000) BUT crucially contain the phrase 'pro rata' which means they only pay for the weeks worked i.e. 35 weeks (so about 70% of the year). This means the pay is about 70% of £18,000 which is £12,600. It is then normally paid monthly for the whole year so would be around £1,050 a month.

strawbs and Rott Weiler like this.