1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused about number bonds and facts Y1.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocciemad, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Hi guys I am an NQT and a little bit confused about how to teach these! I taught number bonds (addition ) to 10 in January. I understand that the chn need to be able to reacll all number facts for all numbers up to 10! isn't this an awful lot?

how do you get your chn to remember all these? although we have covered no bonds to 10, my chn cant reacll them instantly!

So confused as to what to do now? should i start at 5 and make sure the chn know all addition and subtraction facts, then for 6, 7, 8 etc?

Please advise, at my wits end!

tHANK YOU

2. Hi I am a student on PGCE so probably much less experienced and you may want to discount my ideas...
    However last night I was thinking about this and I am making a little prop, which is a bus with ten windows. I cut the windows out and will laminate. I'm going to make 10 simple people's heads and necks to appear through the windows.
    I was thinking I could use it to say e.g. 5 people were sitting on the bus, 5 people got on, how many people were on the bus?
    Then we'd all 'put 5 in our heads' and count on 5 to ten. Ask a child to help me write this as a sum (5 +5=10)
    Repeat with other numbers then let children go to their desks to work on number bond sums that remain on the board using bus prop on the table, or counters to represent the number of people.
    What do you think?
    For the follow up lesson it could be the subtraction facts i.e. there were 10 people on the bus, 9 got off, how many were left?
    I got the idea from a reception teacher who used to sing this as a song but I thought it didn't mean anything to young children who we've all seen repeating inappropriate pop songs word for word but don't actually understand the concept of what they're singing!!!

3. daisymoo

daisymoo New commenter

The children need to learn their number bonds of 10, so the pairs of numbers which total 10, as well as number facts for totals to 5. The relevant objective from the Framework is:

Derive and recall all pairs of numbers with a total of 10 and addition facts for totals to at least 5; work out the corresponding subtraction facts

So you don't need to teach them to learn as many facts as you think. It's very confusing because lots of people (mistakenly) use the phrase 'Number bonds TO 10', which would be what you were thinking you had to teach.

4. Ahhhhhhh , thanks Daisymoo, so am I write in saying that chn need to know all number facts( addition and subtraction) for numbers 5 and 10?

This is confusing!!!!!

5. Our Year 4 teacher calls these Love Pairs and she has a display of hearts on her windows.
    [​IMG]
    The hearts have a crack down the middle and on each side
    she writes a number bond (0 + 10, 1 + 9, 2 + 8, 3 + 7, 4 + 6, 5 + 5). The children seem to learn these fairly quickly.

6. I believe you need to ensure the children know all the number bonds of 10
    so 1+9,2+8, 3+7 etc
    and number facts to 5
    1+1=2,2-1=1, up to 1+4=5,5-1=4,5-4=1 etc
    So a combination of the two!

7. Sorry, I mean 'right' -Easter holidays are taking their toll!

So number bonds mean adding and number facts means adding and subtraction?

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I have a nice display I got from teachershelper website with number bond facts for 5 and 10 on kite tails.

9. Yes, but obviously once they know their number bonds, they should also know their number facts!

10. my year 1s are good at their number bonds now, we play this game quite often as an oms - each child gets given a card with a number from 0-10 on it. they then use their fingers (if necessary) to work out how many more to make ten. when the music starts they walk around then when it stops they have to quickly find their 'partner to make ten' (e.g child with an 8 would be looking for a child with a 2'. they then sit next to them and we go round and check everyone has found the right partner.
    The children love it and it has really worked in getting them to work out and recall their number bonds.

11. daisymoo

daisymoo New commenter

I think that you've got it now. As Jackie says, once the children know their number bonds, they can learn the number facts for 10. I do lots of work on making sure that the children are familiar with the pairs of numbers involved, putting them into number sentences such as 10 = 6 + ? and then linking them with subtraction. I find Bev's rhymes at http://www.communication4all.co.uk/http/NumberBondsto10.htm invaluable in getting the children to memorise the number bonds of 10, once we've looked at what number bonds are, mathematically speaking.

12. I've taught my class the number bond song - to the tune of row, row, row your boat:
    9 + 1 are number bonds
    8 + 2 are friends
    7 + 3
    6 + 4
    5 + 5 are twins
    (The second verse is the same but 1 and 9, etc) i'm not sure where its from as i've used it for years! It really works. They learn the number pairs easily and then apply this using the song to help. My MA don't tend to need the song anymore but the less able still use it. I've even used it in KS2 to look at simple number bonds to 100 and asked the current year 6 to adapt the song to decimals!

13. Try and get hold of the numberfun CD - it has a song called farmer pete which practices number bonds to 10. My children love it and 60% can recite 10 various bonds to 10 in 30 seconds (using numeracy passport) - the rest are a little hit and miss still using their fingers etc. Just repeat and repeat in oral and mentals and put cames in your continuous provision. There are tons of games out there to do with numberbonds (try ictgames.com). I also get the children to count how many dinners on the dinner register and then work out how many more to 10 and then see how many bonds to 10 we can find, have moved onto bonds to 20 to stretch my tops aswell now - they love seeing how many they can find within a certain time and try to beat their time the next day.

14. It's really important that children know all the number bonds not just complements to 10. We've had real issues with this in my school. Loads & loads of time put into 1+9, 2+8 etc but hardly any into other numbers. Children find it really difficult to bridge if they can't see how to "split" the number e.g. If I want to add 7 to 15 I need to see that 7 as 5 and 2 but if I want to add 7 to 16 I need to see it as 7 and 3. Does that make sense?
    I get a bit of a bee in my bonnet over this, sorry, but it can cause real problems further up school if people think that knowing number bonds means pairs of numbers that add to make 10.

15. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Nooo, you've lost me-do you mean as 4 and 3?
    x

16. I agree need foundations right now or it will imact further up!
    Yeah i think thats what they mean, so if you are trying to add 7 to 16 split the 7 into 4 and 3 them add the four to the 6 to make the next ten then just add the three. Back to original question about how to help them remember bonds to 10 i think just put them all around them in their environment and putting them in lots of different real contexts. Maybe have your staff focus on it in your CP areas depending on how much support you have?
    We have a piece of software from fiery ideas that links with a numeracy passport which focuses on rapid recall of number facts. I think they have the supertimer we use as a simplified free download on their site - could try timing them each day and see if they can beat the previous score. Could do it for doubles and near doubles aswell - change the focus of the repid recall depending on what they need to practice.
    Have you seen the Numbers and Patterns document? Pretty handy for Y1! [​IMG]

17. OOOPS! Sorry - I did mean 4 and 3. School hols, glass of wine, brain ache not a good combination. Perhaps I need one of those CDs to help me learn my number facts.

18. We've got quite a few Number Bond resources on the website that have been uploaded by teachers. You can check them out by clicking on the link below:
    Number bond resources

19. Not sure if you know it already but this site has beautiful resources

http://www.**********.co.uk/md/addsub/bonds.html

I have the flower pots hanging in my room as a constant reminder.

:)

20. Back to being confused now!!! so do chn need to know other number facts for eg 6, 7,8 and 9 too then?