1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused about NQT and how I'm affected whilst working overseas

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by the hippo, Apr 26, 2012.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

No, jubliee, "the only limits" are not the supply rule ones. The real limits are that the OP is finding it almost impossible to get a teaching job in the UK. If you go to the "unemployed teachers" forum, you will find that plenty of other teachers also have this problem.

2. Hippo, your are most definetly right there. I had hoped that with the fact that I had 2 years working with the British Curriculum, teaching children who had ESL and working with children who had SEBD Special Needs and supply teaching across FS up to KS 2 that I would be able to find a job more easily - good and valuable experience yet working at an NQT salary - more fool me for thinking that this might make me a more attractive candidate!!!
    I agree with your original post too about seeing this option as a long term career move - I have very little desire to return to teaching in the UK when there is so much of the world to see and so many experiences to have and I've pretty much decided to forget about my NQT now because it was so soul destroying being back in England for 2 years and only getting 1 teaching interview and spending long periods of time on Jobseekers Allowance - I'm never ever going back to that situation!!!
    The only reason I was considering returning to do my NQT was if I wanted to return to teach there in the distant future but with the prejudices of principals etc in the UK I may as well not bother - if I did go I would complete the NQT and then get the hell out of there as fast as I could.
    I am looking at CELTA courses thanks to your suggestion and I'm also looking at online Masters Degrees to enhance my CV and make myself even more marketable. Thanks for the ideas!